Current Affairs Updates - 18th March 2018
Achieversrule has brought to you all the Latest news headlines and updates in our today's Current Affairs Updates - 18th March 2018. These include news headlines from National, International, Banking, Schemes and other topics. I hope readers will go through them in details before going through the One Liner Static Gk and Note Down Points. These headlines are very important for the upcoming examinations of Bank, Rail and SSC.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has raised the exposure limit under exchange-traded currency derivatives trading for residents and foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) to 100 million dollar across all currency pairs involving the Indian rupee.
- The Sebi move follows the Reserve Bank of India decision in February to raise these limits, beyond which market participants would be required to establish proof of underlying exposure in the currency derivatives segment.
Rankings & Indexes
India has been ranked at the 78th position in the World Economic Forum's (WEF) report on Energy Transition Index (ETI).
- The report, titled 'Fostering Effective Energy Transition', benchmarks historic and current performance of energy systems of 126 countries on 18 indicators, covering the three core dimensions of energy- access and security, sustainability and contribution to economic growth, and development.
The Lok Sabha gave its nod for a Bill to amend the existing gratuity law to remove the current ceiling of Rs 10 lakh and e
- The Payment of Gratuity Bill, among other things, empowers the Centre to notify the period of maternity leave eligible for qualifying as "continuous service" under the gratuity law.
Jackfruit all set to be Kerala's official fruit
- After the state animal, bird, flower and fish, Kerala is all set to get its "official fruit" now. And it is none other than the jackfruit, the largest tree borne fruit known for its distinctive taste and aroma.
China's parliament unanimously handed President Xi Jinping a second term on Saturday (Mar 17) and elevated his right-hand man to the vice-presidency, giving him a strong ally to consolidate power and handle US trade threats.
- Xi's reappointment by the Communist Party-controlled legislature was a foregone conclusion, but all eyes had been on whether his former anti-corruption enforcer, Wang Qishan, would become his deputy.
Schemes / Programme
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launched LaQshya program aimed at improving quality of maternity care in labour room and maternity Operation Theatre (OT).
- The program aims to improve quality of care for pregnant women in labour room, maternity Operation Theatre and Obstetrics Intensive Care Units (ICUs) and High Dependency Units (HDUs).
SATHE to introduce System-wide Governance Transformation in School Education
- NITI Aayog will release comprehensive roadmaps and detailed timelines for its initiative ‘Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital in Education (SATH-E)’ project at NITI Aayog tomorrow on Saturday, March 17.
The Odisha government will collaborate with Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System (RIMES) for strengthening its early warning services and enhancing preparedness for management of hazards in state.
- The partnership will be forged between Odisha State Disaster Mitigation Authority (OSDMA) and RIMES in field of drought monitoring and early warning for different natural disasters.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
Muthoot Finance, the flagship company of Muthoot Group has tied up with Global IME Bank to expand its money remittance services between Indo Nepal Corridor.
- In FY16, Muthoot Finance had collaborated with Nepal based Prabhu Bank for money transfer business wherein the company completed 2.2 lakh transactions worth Rs 4.69 billion. With Global IME Bank, this is the company's second tie-up in the region.
The Union Government on March 16, 2018 signed a 120 million dollar loan agreement with the Asian Development Bank (ADB) for completion of works for double-tracking and electrification of railway tracks along high-density corridors to improve operational efficiency of Indian railways.
- The tranche 3 loan is part of the 500 million dollar multi-tranche financing facility for Railway Sector Investment Program approved by the ADB Board in 2011. The loan amount will be used to complete the ongoing works commenced under earlier tranches.
Summit /Conference / Events
Jaipur will co-host 8th Theatre Olympics, the largest international theatre festival being held for the first time in India.
- The Jaipur chapter of Theatre Olympics 2018 is organised by National School of Drama (NSD) under the aegis of Ministry of Culture in collaboration with Ravindra Manch Society and Art & Culture Department, Rajasthan Government.
President Ram Nath Kovind, will inaugurate a Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship (FINE) on March 19.
- FINE, an initiative to recognise, respect, showcase, reward innovations and to foster a supportive ecosystem for innovators, is being organised by Rashtrapati Bhavan in association with the Department of Science and Technology and the National Innovation Foundation-India from March 19 to 23, 2018.
The third edition of 'Women of India Organic Festival' to be inaugurated by Smt Maneka Sanjay Gandhi at Dilli Haat
- The cultural centre of the Capital city, Dilli Haat (INA), will showcase India's most varied offerings of organic products ranging from food, wellness, personal care, home improvement, kitchen composters and solar products.
Awards & Honours: Sports
India's long-distance athlete Sanjivani Jadhav bagged a bronze medal at the 14th Asian Cross Country Championships held at Guiyang in China
- India's other athletes like Swati Ghadave (30.18) finished 11th while JhumaKhatun (32.14) and Lalita Babar (32.53) finished on 14th and 15th position respectively.
Other Sports & Award Related News
Nepal became the latest nation to join the One-Day International (ODI) club, securing their 50-overs status for the first time at the ongoing ICC World Cup Qualifiers in Zimbabwe.
- The Paras Khadka-led team beat Papua New Guinea on Thursday and then watched the Netherlands defeat Hong Kong to secure Nepal's elevation to the group of four teams with temporary ODI status until 2022.
KL Rahul is the ‘Cricketer of the Year’ in the sixth edition of Wisden India Almanack
- The Almanack pays a tribute to India’s women cricketers, with a wonderful cover picture of celebration at the World Cup.