Current Affairs Updates - 10th March 2018
The Achieversrule team wants to present the Latest and Updates Current Affairs Updates - 10th March 2018. Here we have news from National, International, Banking, Schemes, Awards, Sports and Obituary. Each section has points given in details. Aspirants should go through each in details to have a better understanding. Moreover, aspirants should go through Daily One Liner GK and Static GK Note Down Points along with the Daily Current Affairs Quiz for better performance in the examination.
New Appointments: National
Twenty-five-year-old Prakriti from Bihar’s Samastipur district has become the first woman to be inducted as a direct-entry combat officer by the Indo-Tibetan Border Police.
- ITBP, the border guarding force, was the last among the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) to begin the process of inducting women officers in combat roles after the Ministry of Home Affairs began the process in 2016.
New Appointments: International
Indian-origin steel tycoon Sanjeev Gupta has been appointed by Britain's Prince Charles as an official ambassador for the Industrial Cadets programme designed to nurture manufacturing skills.
- Mr Gupta was appointed to the flagship programme to give children and young people direct structured experience of the industry while still at school or college.
Rankings & Indexes
According to the Knight Frank Wealth Report 2018, Mumbai ranks 16th among the top 20 costliest cities in the world.
- The rise in Indian financial capital’s ranking on this count is supported by the rapid wealth creation in the country.
Delhi Police Launched 'All Women Patrolling Squad' To Ensure Women Safety.
- To strengthen women safety, Delhi Police on International Women’s Day, launched an “all-women patrolling squad” to protect women from cat-callers and instill a sense of confidence among women.
Gurugram’s first cyber police station opened at DLF Phase-V .
- The police station will have trained manpower and modern equipment to deal with crimes in the cyber world. A separate magistrate will also be appointed for the station.
Diu becomes the first and only Union Territory to be 100% solar energy efficient
- In a major boost for utilisation of renewable energy in the country, Diu has become the first and only Union Territory to be fully solar energy efficient
United Kingdom’s Portsmouth College has offered to teach its students ‘Hinglish’, a mix of Hindi and English languages, from September, becoming the country’s first educational institution to do so.
- The course is being introduced partly due to India’s growing economic importance and to prepare British students who may take up jobs in India or in Indian companies based in the UK.
Defence & Railway News
The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) announced its exit from the proposed light metro project for Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode.
- DMRC chief adviser E Sreedharan, better known as the Metro Man, said he was withdrawing from the light metro project with a heavy heart. He said though he approached chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan’s office for a meeting a couple of times, he was denied an appointment.
Application / Portal
Udyam Sakhi Portal launched for women entrepreneurs
- On the occasion of International Women’s Day, the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) launched a portal for women entrepreneurs of India: www.udyamsakhi.org. The portal was unveiled by the Minister of State (Independent Charge) of MSME, Giriraj Singh.
Schemes / Programme
The government marked the International Women’s Day by launching low cost biodegradable sanitary napkins to be available across 586 Indian districts through central medicine distribution outlets.
- Called “Suvidha”, this set of four napkins will cost Rs 10 as against existing corresponding prices for similar packs of non biodegradable pads being anywhere between Rs 30 to Rs 80.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Women's day announced 'Mukhyamantri Mahila Kosh' scheme under which women who aren't married and are above the age of 50 will be given pension.
- Chouhan also took the occasion to assert that any person who will misbehave with women will be hanged in public.
Summit /Conference / Events
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) is participating in World ATM Congress (WATMC) 2018 being held at IFEMA, Feria de Madrid, Spain from March 6 to 8.
- Now entering its sixth year, World ATM Congress is the world’s largest international air traffic management (ATM) exhibition and conference attracting thousands of delegates each year.
The 2018 Central Banking Awards took place in London, on the 1st March 2018, at Gibson Hall
- The awards celebrated the contributions central bankers and stakeholders make to central banks, central banking and national economies.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Anjum Moudgil won her first International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup medal- silver in the Women’s 50m Rifle 3 Positions (3P) event at the ongoing ISSF World Cup Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun stage in Guadalajara, Mexico.
- On day six of competition and on a windy day making shooting very difficult during the finals, Anjum shot brilliantly to finish behind China’s Ruijiao Pei 455.4 to 454.2 after the 45-shot final.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
India wins the Nidahas Trophy, 2nd T20I in Colombo.
- After suffering a shocking defeat against Sri Lanka in the opening match of Nidahas Trophy, Men in Blue fought back to defeat Bangladesh by six wickets in the 2nd T20 international played at Colombo.
Renowned Sufi singer Pyarelal Wadali, one of the singers of legendary Wadali Brothers duo, passed away in Amritsar.
- Hailing from a village in Amritsar district, the Wadali Brothers, the fifth generation of singers and musicians, are known for their humble beginnings and earned national and international recognition over the years.