One Liner GK Current Affairs: 16th February 2018
We, the Achievers Rule team have brought to you the Daily One Liner GK Current Affairs of 16th February 2018. We have updated all the important Current Affairs Updates unders sections of National, International, Banking and Events. We hope that our readers are finding these articles helpful for their upcoming examinations of Bank, Rail and SSC. We also try to keep our readers updated with all the Latest Employment News along with Daily Current Affairs Quiz.
New Appointments: International
- Bank of Japan chief Haruhiko Kuroda reappointed for second term.
- Cyril Ramaphosa, elected South Africa’s new president.
Rankings & Indexes
- IT services and outsourcing provider Wipro Limited and Tata Steel Ltd are the two Indian firms that have been selected among 135 of the world's most ethical companies for 2018 by the US-based think tank Ethisphere Institute.
- The government will change the base year to 2017-18 for the calculation of GDP and IIP numbers while for retail inflation the year will be revised to 2018
- Power equipment maker BHEL has bagged an order worth Rs 560 crore for supply and installation of the flue gas desulphurisation (FGD) system from NTPC for 2x490 MW National Capital Power Station (NCPS) at Dadri in Uttar Pradesh.
- West Bengal Becomes First State to Opt Out of ‘Modicare’
- Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan said that the excise duty and Value Added Tax (VAT) levied on crude oil would be replaced with the Goods and Services Tax (GST) in the near future.
- The Hampi monuments which are part of Karnataka’s cultural heritage, will be one of the 10 tourist destinations across India to be developed as ‘Iconic Tourism Site’ by the central government.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched several projects in Arunachal Pradesh and later, will also address several rallies in poll-bound Tripura
- Japan posts longest growth streak since 1980s bubble economy as the economy expanded at a 0.5 percent annualized rate in October-December, less than the median estimate for annualized growth of 0.9 percent
- Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn resigned in what he described as a bid to smooth reforms, following years of violent unrest that threatened the ruling party’s hold on Africa’s second most populous nation.
Science & Technology
- Milky Way's neighbouring galaxy Andromeda in a "recent" crash between two smaller star systems formed after Earth existed : Study
- Sea level will rise by over 2 feet by 2100 as Scientists have learned from 25 years of satellite data that sea levels are rising at 3 mm every year, while its rate is increasing about 0.08 mm per year.
Schemes / Programme
- The 'Assistance to States and UTs for Narcotics Control' scheme has been extended for a further period of 3 years--from 2017-18 to 2019-20--with an estimated budget of Rs 21 crore
Summit /Conference / Events
- President Ram Nath Kovind hosted the LPG Panchayat at Rashtrapati Bhavan organised by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas with an aim to provide a platform for LPG consumers to interact with each other, promote mutual learning and share experiences.
Awards & Honours: Sports
- Tamil Nadu beat Manipur 2-1 to lift their maiden title in the 23rd edition of the Senior Women's National Football Championship
- Cristiano Ronaldo becomes the first player in Champions League history to score 100 goals for one club
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
- India’s Aadhaar and Umang App have won awards at recently concluded 6th World Government Summit 2018 in Dubai.
Other Sports & Award Related News
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports is planning a ranking system for National Sports Federations (NSFs).
- India to host 8th Theatre Olympics in an effort to put India firmly among the top nations in the world theatre map
- China will host 2018 Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Summit at Qingdao, eastern Shandong Province in June 2018.
STATIC GK NOTE DOWN POINTS
- Bank of Japan Currency: Japanese yen
- Bank of Japan Headquarters: Tokyo, Japan
- South Africa President: Cyril Ramaphosa
- South Africa Capitals: Cape Town
- South Africa Currency: South African rand
- Wipro CEO: Abidali Neemuchwala
- Wipro Founder: M.H. Hasham Premji
- Wipro Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Tata Steel CEO: T. V. Narendran
- Tata Steel Founder: Jamsetji Tata
- Tata Steel Headquarters: Mumbai
- BHEL Headquarters: New Delhi
- BHEL CEO: Atul Sobti
- Karnataka Dance Form: Yakshagna, Bayalata, Dollu Kunitha, Veeragaase dance
- Arunachal Pradesh Dance Form: Bardo Chham
- Ethiopia Prime minister: Hailemariam Desalegn
- Ethiopia Capital: Addis Ababa
- Ethiopia Currency: Ethiopian birr
- Tamil Nadu Dance Form: Karagattam
- UEFA Champions League Current Title: Real Madrid C.F.
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization Headquarters: Beijing, China
- China Currency: Renminbi
- China Capital: Beijing
- China President: Xi Jinping