Current Affairs Updates - 28th February 2018
The AchieversRule Team has brought to you the Current Affairs Updates for 28th February 2018. These cover news in various sections of National. International, Schemes, Agreements, Sports News and Appointments. The Latest Current Affairs Updates have been presented here which are quite important for the upcoming examinations of Bank like IBPS PO, Clerk and SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, Railway ALP, etc. Aspirants must go through the Latest One Liner and GK Static Points and Note Down Points.
New Appointments: National
Television journalist Rahul Mahajan has been appointed as editor-in-chief of the television channel Rajya Sabha TV.
- Mahajan’s name was recommended by a five-member selection committee headed by Prasar Bharti chairman A. Surya Prakash and was approved by the vice-president of India M.Venkaiah Naidu, who is also the chairman of Rajya Sabha, on Sunday.
New Appointments: International
Michael McCormack: Ex-journalist becomes Australia deputy Prime Minister
- A former regional newspaper editor, Michael McCormack, has been chosen as Australia's new deputy prime minister.
- He replaces Barnaby Joyce as leader of the Nationals, the governing coalition's junior partner
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
The government has categorised about 9,500 non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) in the country as “high risk” prone as they had not complied with a stipulated provision of the anti-money laundering law.
- A list of 9,491 “high risk financial institutions” has been published by the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) that functions under the Union Finance Ministry.
According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), the United States will overtake Russia as the world’s biggest oil producer by 2019 at the latest.
- IEA Executive Director Fatih Birol said at an event in Tokyo the United States would overtake Russia as the biggest crude oil producer “definitely next year”, if not this year.
Rankings & Indexes
India is ranked 47th out of 86 countries when it comes to inclusive Internet and connectivity for all, a Facebook report .
- Facebook, which commissioned the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) to create a comprehensive "Inclusive Internet Index," found India in the middle of Asian countries (12th out of 23) when it comes to connectivity.
India congratulates China on its election as vice-president of Financial Action Task Force (FATF).
- The Indian ministry of external affairs did not comment on whether a deal had been worked out at the FATF but analysts said given China’s track record of striking bargains for its vote in international organizations, it was possible that Beijing had done the same at the FATF plenary.
Women in Saudi Arabia are now permitted to enlist in the army as the kingdom continues to enact reforms granting females more access to a wide range of previously forbidden careers.
- Women are now able to apply for positions with the rank of soldier in the provinces of Riyadh, Mecca, al-Qassim and Medina.
AIIB approves 1.5 billion dollar of loans to India for infrastructure projects
- The funds would be used for investment in India’s energy, roads and urban development projects, and the bank will examine allotting more funds for such projects next year
King of Jordan Abdullah II bin Al-Hussein arrives in India for a three-day visit starting today
- He will hold official talks with PM Narendra Modi on Thursday. Defence, security and investments are going to be the key areas of discussion on the bilateral agenda.
Saudi Arabia replaced its military chief of staff and other defense officials early in a shake-up apparently aimed at overhauling its Defense Ministry during the stalemated and ruinous war in Yemen.
- The kingdom also announced a new female deputy minister of labor and social development as it tries to broaden the role of women in the workplace.
The government announced a significant reduction in airfare for those going on the Haj
- The reduction will be applicable to passages on Air India, Saudi Airlines and Flynas, an air carrier based in Saudi Arabia, to Jeddah and Medina from 21 airports in India.
Science & Technology
Google India rolled out its feature called “Symptom Search” in India that lets users find quality health information on their smartphones.
- In collaboration with a team of doctors from Apollo Hospitals, the tech giant will add tailor-made information about commonly-searched symptoms in its Search.
Defence & Railway News
India and Nepal would hold a joint exercise in Uttarakhand that will include training on jungle warfare, anti-terrorism combat as well as disaster response activities
- The 13th edition of the Nepal-India joint military exercise will be held in Pithoragarh in a couple of months.
- This is a regular military exercise being organised annually between the two armies, said the defence ministry sources.
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has prioritized 15 cities across the country for development of intermodal stations (IMS), of which Nagpur and Varanasi have been selected as the pilot projects.
- The detailed pre-feasibility studies for Nagpur and Varanasi, and the development of DPRs for these cities is in the final stages.
Application / Portal
Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has introduced UAN-Aadhaar linking facility for the convenience of members using EPFO Link in UMANG Mobile App.
- This is in addition to the existing web facility already available at EPFO’s website www.epfindia.gov.in >> Online Services >> e-KYC Portal>> LINK UAN AADHAAR.
Schemes / Programme
To ensure availability of clean drinking water to every household, Union Minister Uma Bharti today launched the second project under the 'Swajal Yojna' at Bhikampura village in Rajasthan.
- The budget for the pilot project for Rajasthan at Bhikampura is Rs 54.17 lakh, a drinking water and sanitation ministry statement said.
The Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) will get 25% of loans on offer under Revitalising Infrastructure and Systems in Education (RISE).
- RISE scheme was announced in Union Budget 2017-18. It aims to lend low-cost funds to government higher educational institutions.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
The shipping ministry has set up a centre in a joint initiative with IIT Madras to accelerate indigenous development of technology and patents, and reduce reliance on costly foreign consultations.
- One of the central objectives of the National Technology Centre for Ports, Waterways and Coasts (NTCPWC) is to help increase the country’s capital and operational ability to handle complex port projects, while reducing costs arising primarily from foreign consultations.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Mary Kom, Seema Poonia settle for silver in Strandja Memorial boxing tournament
- Five-time world champion M C Mary Kom had to be content with a silver medal after going down in the final of the 69th Strandja Memorial boxing tournament for men and women.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Afghanistan's leg-spinner Rashid Khan becomes the youngest captain in international cricket history.
- The sensational leg-spinner from Afghanistan, Rashid Khan, is breaking one record after the other. The 19-year-old hailing from the lesser known cricketing country has bowled over everyone with his googlies and impeccable line.
Other Sports & Award Related News
Bangladesh appoint Courtney Walsh as interim coach.
- Bangladesh’ current bowling coach Courtney Walsh has been named as the interim coach of the Tigers or next month’s tri-nation Twenty20 series in Sri Lanka.