Current Affairs Updates - 23rd February 2018
We, the Achieversrule team have once again come up with a news set of Daily Current Affairs Updates - 23rd February 2018. These are quite important and covers topics under National, International and Schemes and Events. These will not only boost your knowledge but is also important for GK Questions in SSC CHSL and Railway Exams other than IBPS PO or Clerk. Aspirants can also go through the regular GK Note down points.
World Day of Social Justice: 20 February. Theme: Workers on the Move: the Quest for Social Justice
- Social justice is an underlying principle for peaceful and prosperous coexistence within and among nations. We uphold the principles of social justice when we promote gender equality or the rights of indigenous peoples and migrants. We advance social justice when we remove barriers that people face because of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, culture or disability.
International Mother Language Day: 21st February
- This is to promote awareness of linguistic, multilingualism and cultural diversity. This year it is the 18th anniversary of IMLD.
First in India
Jaipur's Gandhinagar railway station becomes 1st fully women operated station in country
- Gandhi Nagar is important railway station in Jaipur situated on the Jaipur-Delhi rail route with more than 50 trains passing through the station out of which 25 halting at the station. The station has footfall of more than 7,000 passengers every day.
Committees in News
Government has constituted Empowered Expert Committee (EEC) to select 20 Institutions of Eminence from among 104 institutions (public or private) headed by former Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) N Gopalaswami.
- It aims to help 20 higher education (10 public and 10 private) institutions from country break into top 500 global rankings in 10 years, and then eventually break into top 100 over time.
The Union Government has issued order setting up the ‘Niti Forum for North-East co-chaired by the Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog to identify constraints and recommend suitable interventions for speedy and sustainable growth in North East Region (NER).
- The forum is tasked to identify various constraints on way of accelerated, inclusive and sustainable economic growth in NER.
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched 4 food canteens at Faridabad, Gurugram, Hisar, and Yamunanagar under the ‘Antyodaya Aahaar Yojana'.
- This scheme is to provide healthy, nutritious and hygienic food at only Rs 10 per meal to all poor and needy.
The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given approval for creation of National Urban Housing Fund (NUHF) for Rs 60,000 crore.
- This fund will be situated in Building Materials and Technology Promotion Council (BMTPC), an autonomous body registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
Northeast India’s first regional Centre for Agriculture with collaboration of Israel will be inaugurated in Mizoram in March 2018.
- There are 22 such operational centres setup across India with support of Israel including in states of Haryana, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Punjab.
Defence & Railway News
An indigenously developed intermediate-range nuclear capable ballistic Agni II was successfully test-fired today at 8:30 am from Launch Complex-4 of Integrated Test Range (ITR) from the Abdul Kalam Island off the Odisha coast.
- The trial was conducted by the Strategic Forces Command (SFC) of the Indian Army as part of its user training exercise, a defence ministry official said.
India’s indigenous developed light transport aircraft SARAS PT1N has successfully completed second test-flight.
- The first successful test was carried out in January 2017. Indian Air Force (IAF) has committed to induct 15 aircrafts initially.
Application / Portal
Six new features of National Agriculture Market (e-NAM) Platform have been launched to make it more users friendly.
- The six new features are e-NAM Mobile App, BHIM payment facility, new and improved Website with eLearning Module, MIS Dashboard, Grievance Redressal Management System for Mandi Secretaries and Integration with Farmer Database.
Schemes / Programme
Aam Aadmi Party To Launch 'Mission Buniyaad' To Fix Learning Crisis In Delhi Schools
- The Delhi government on Monday announced the launch of "Mission Buniyaad" for improving learning skills of children studying in state and municipal-run schools.
The Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has launched Gangotri Swachh Iconic Place project and Swajal, a community owned drinking water programme in Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand.
- These both projects will create cleanliness, provide basic amenities to the people of Ganga bank villages and will also generate employment.
Summit /Conference / Events
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 22nd edition of the World Congress on Information Technology (WCIT) in Hyderabad.
- World Congress on Information Technology is the 22nd edition and is held for the first time in India.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has arrived in Lucknow today to inaugurate the two-day Uttar Pradesh Investors' Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has, in a tweet, praised Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath's leadership, saying that "the state's progress journey has got a strong impetus".