Current Affairs Updates - 21st February 2018
We, the AchieversRule team have brought to you the Daily Current Affairs Updates for 21st February 2018. There are headlines from National, International, Awards, Banking, Agreements. We can assure you that these are very important for the upcoming examinations of Bank, Railway and SSC. These will not only help you in your preparation but also help in boosting your GK Knowledge. You may also read Current Affairs Quiz and Current Affairs Static GK Note Down Points.
First in India
Amazon has finally claimed the status of becoming the first foreign company to start with its food retail venture in India.
- Reportedly, it will now be available on Amazon India platform as Amazon Retail Pvt. Ltd. and will start with its pilot services in Pune
New Appointments: NationalVice Admiral RB Pandit takes over as Commandant of INA, replaces Vice Admiral SV Bhokare
- Vice Admiral SV Bhokare, AVSM, YSM, NM was accorded a warm send off, with the traditional ‘Pulling Out’ ceremony.
- He will look after oil and gas production from ONGC’s offshore fields that contribute 70 and 78 percent of the domestic crude oil and gas production respectively.
Debashish Mukherjee and Murali Ramaswami were today appointed executive directors of Canara Bank and Vijaya Bank respectively, according to an official order.
- Mukherjee's appointment is initially for three years but it is extendable by two years after review of his performance, the order issued by personnel ministry said.
- Ramaswami will have tenure till December 31, 2020, i.e. the date of his superannuation, the order said.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
Private sector lender, Axis Bank announced opening of offshore banking unit at the International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) at Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City).
- Axis Bank will be able to provide a more comprehensive range of products to its customers with access to International financial markets.
The cabinet approved amendments to the Chit Funds Act to facilitate orderly growth of the sector and provide more financial products to investors.
- The cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has given approval to introduce the Chit Funds (Amendment) Bill, 2018 in Parliament, said an official release.
- One of the amendments is use of the words “Fraternity Fund” for chit business in the Act to signify its inherent nature, and distinguish its working from ‘Prize Chits’ which are banned under a separate legislation.
PM Narendra Modi flags off Palace Queen Humsafar Express train to travel between Mysuru and Udaipur
- Flagging off the train, he said: "This Palace Queen Humsafar Express train which connects Musuru to Udaipur is a historical step and would boost tourism."
Milkbasket, India’s first and largest micro-delivery platform has been recognised as 'Startup of the Year' 2017 at the 7th Small Business Awards.
- The Startup of the Year award is dedicated to young SMEs, aged 7 years or less, with great potential to become big in local/international markets.
Assam is at the bottom of the list with regard to maternal mortality rate(MMR) with a figure of 300 against the national average of 167.
- Assam is at the bottom of the list with regard to maternal mortality rate(MMR) with a figure of 300 against the national average of 167, while the fund spending under National Health Mission (NHM) is just 13.58 per cent for 2017-18.
The Parliament House will soon open a creche facility on its premises so as to have an inclusive work environment for its women employees.
- A 1,500 square-feet creche in the House will be guarded by professionals, ensuring all-round development of children and will also have a separate feeding room for mothers.
Maharashtra govt. under Asmita Yojana will provide cheap (subsidised) sanitary pads to school students on the International Women’s Day (March 8, 2018).
- The state government has appointed “Umed’, the Maharashtra State Rural Livelihood Mission, as a nodal agency for effective implementation of the scheme.
The Union Cabinet approved the setting up of a tribunal to settle a row between Odisha and Chhattisgarh on sharing the waters of the river Mahanadi.
- This is in keeping with a Supreme Court order last month directing the Centre to set up a tribunal in response to a plea by the Odisha government to stop the Chhattisgarh government from constructing several weirs on the river.
Shah Karim Al Hussaini, the Aga Khan, will arrive on a 11-day visit, during which he will hold talks with Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu
- The Aga Khan is the the founder and chairman of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), and is the 49th hereditary Imam (Spiritual Leader) of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday launched Nasscom’s Future Skills platform that seeks to initially upskill 40 lakh IT employees and prospective job seekers in eight emerging technologies that could drive IT jobs in the future.
- These technologies include artificial intelligence, virtual reality, robotic process automation, internet of things, big data analytics, 3D printing, cloud computing, social and mobile.
Saudi Arabia is set to host in March its first ever Arab Fashion Week at Riyadh's eco-friendly Apex Centre
- Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has been leading a drive to reform the country's dependence on oil, including expanding the private sector and empowering women.
The Pakistani Senate approved a motion to declare Mandarin as one of the official languages of Pakistan.
- The motion said the step was necessary in view of ties between Pakistan and China, AbbTakk News reported.
Defence & Railway News
Surface-to-surface Agni-II ballistic missile was successfully test-fired from the Abdul Kalam Island, off Odisha coast.
- The test was conducted as part of user trial by Strategic Forces Command (SFC).
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
UK, India launch Joint research projects on Water Quality Research and Energy Demand Reduction in Built Environment
- The Water Quality Research programme has eight projects and Energy Demand Reduction in Built Environment programme has four projects, with a total joint investment of up to £15 million.
PNB Housing Finance Ltd has tied up with International Finance Corporation (IFC), part of the World Bank Group, to raise 800 million dollar for green and affordable housing in India.
- IFC is in negotiations with two other housing finance firms to invest another 150 million dollar, as well as with property developers to assist the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) from both the demand and supply sides, the person said, requesting anonymity.
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its ex-post facto approval to the Cooperation Agreement betweenIndia and the Moroccan National Railways Office (ONCF) to develop long-term cooperation and partnership in different areas of railway sector.
- Ministry of Railways have signed MOUs for technical cooperation in the Rail sector with various foreign Governments and National Railways. The identified areas of cooperation include high-speed corridors, speed raising of existing routes, development of world class stations, heavy haul operations and modernization of rail infrastructure, etc.
The Union Cabinet approved an agreement signed between India and Israel on co-production of films
- The agreement was inked between the two countries during the visit of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to India last month.
Summit /Conference / Events
India is the global host of 2018 World Environment Day which will take place on June 5, 2018 with the theme "Beat Plastic Pollution"
- India is excited to host the World Environment Day this year on June 5. Indian philosophy and lifestyle has long been rooted in the concept of co-existence with nature. We are committed to making Planet Earth a cleaner and greener place
Mr. J P Nadda, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare has addressed the Global Digital Health Partnership Summit, at Canberra, Australia.
- The Union Health Minister stated that India is committed to reforms in health service delivery using ICT under Digital India Program of Government of India.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
The Star India Pvt. Ltd, which holds the media rights of the Indian Premier League, also won the audio-visual production rights for not just the IPL but also the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) domestic circuit for the 2018-19 season.
- The BCCI had invited request for proposal (RFP) documents for services relating to the live production of all matches for the IPL and the domestic cricket season, the board’s acting secretary Amitabh Choudhary said in a media release.