Current Affairs Updates - 19th January 2018
Today we have brought to you all the important headlines for 19th january 2018. As we always say, aspirants must go through the Daily Current Affairs regularly properly. We provide you with the best Note Down Points to keep you updated and there are high chances that you will get questions in Bank, SSC and Rail.
First in India
Maharashtra becomes the first state to come out with a public cloud policy virtually mandating its departments to shift their data storage onto the cloud.
Yes Bank ties up with Amplus Energy Solutions
- The memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed at International Solar Alliance pavilion at the World Future Energy Summit, Abu Dhabi, the company said in a statement.
India Ratings and Research projected the country's economic growth to improve to 7.1 per cent next fiscal from 6.5 per cent this year.
- The projection is a tad lower than 7.4 per cent growth estimated by Asian Development Bank (ADB) and International Monetary Fund (IMF) for next fiscal.
India’s most-valued lender HDFC Bank Ltd on Thursday crossed Rs 5 trillion market capitalisation for the first time, making it only the third Indian company to achieve this milestone.
- Tata Consultancy Services Ltd (TCS) and Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) are the other two companies which crossed market capitalisation of Rs5 trillion. RIL remained the most-valued company with a market cap of Rs5.82 trillion, followed by TCS with a market cap of Rs5.57 trillion.
The government has decided to set up a Cyber Warrior Police Force (CWPF) to tackle internet-related crimes such as cyber threats, child pornography and online stalking.
- The CWPF is likely to operate under the National Information Security Policy and Guidelines wing of the Union home ministry’s Cyber and Information Security (CIS) division, which was created last November. It is proposed to be raised on the lines of the Central Armed Police Force.
The Jewish community will mark Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Mumbai visit with the launch of 'Namaste Shalom', a regular monthly magazine on bilateral relations between the two friendly nations.
- The magazine would be launched at the Magen David Synagogue at Byculla in south Mumbai tomorrow, Ralphy Jhirad, the editorial board member of the magazine, told PTI.
The government has made it mandatory to have Global Positioning System (GPS) devices in passenger transport vehicles including taxis and buses from April 1.
- The road transport ministry has reiterated the deadline amid reports that most of the states had not done much to meet the target.
- All taxis, buses and public transport vehicles, except three-wheelers and e-rickshaws, will have to install GPS and an alert button.
Facebook appoints its 1st African-American member CEO Kenneth Chenault to board
- Facebook has appointed outgoing American Express CEO Kenneth Chenault to its board, making him the first African-American to be on the board. Chenault serves on the Boards of IBM and Procter & Gamble and is also a Harvard Law School graduate. Commenting on the appointment, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg highlighted that he had been trying to recruit Chenault "for years."
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in the presence of Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu here to enhance import and export performance
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has issued directions for a division for logistics in the government.
- To fulfill this objective, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed on Tuesday with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in the presence of Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu here.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
The 10th edition of Global Forum for Food & Agriculture was held in Berlin, Germany from 18th -20th January 2018. Theme of this year’s event is “Shaping the future of livestock – sustainably, responsibly, efficiently”.
- Indian delegation to the event is led by Union Minister of State (MoS) for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Gajendra Singh Shekhawat.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Virat Kohli, Indian cricket team captain, has won the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for Cricketer of the Year alongside the ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year award.
- Virat Kohli’s imperious form with the bat in 2017 has seen him being named as the winner of the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for Cricketer of the Year by the International Cricket Council (ICC), with the Indian cricket team captain also winning the ODI Cricketer of the Year accolade.
- This is the second instance of Kohli receiving the ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year award.