Current Affairs Updates - 17th January 2018
Daily Current Affairs Updates for 17th January 2018 have been sorted out here with all the important Note down points listed out. We request our readers to go through each and every point as these are very important for the upcoming exams of SSC CHSL, SSC CGL, IBPS Bank PO and Railways. Along with the updates candidates should try the Daily Current Affairs Quizzes regularly.
New Appointments: National
Vice Admiral AB Singh takes over as Chief of Staff Western Naval Command
The Centre has sanctioned projects over 10 thousand crore rupees in North East for better network connectivity.
- He said that two MoUs have been signed to cover the uncovered areas in North East including Assam and Arunachal Pradesh. The Union minister said that stress has been given to upgrade the network connection at border areas. Later , Assam IT minister Keshab Mahanta said that the Centre would send two nodal officers to monitor the progress of the works.
NITI Aayog initiates the first course on Sustainable Urban Planning using Remote Sensing and GIS at IIT Kanpur outreach centre at Noida .
- This course is being conducted under the Global Initiative on Academic Network (GIAN) Program of the Ministry of Human Resource Development and actively supported by NITI Aayog and Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the commencement of the work of an oil refinery in Rajasthan's Barmer district on Tuesday and also address a public rally there.
- The project, a Joint Venture of Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd and Rajasthan government, is worth over Rs 43,000 crore.
- The foundation stone for the refinery was laid by then Congress President Sonia Gandhi on September 22, 2013.
India for the first time took part in a meeting of the international military cooperation departments of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
- The two-day meeting concluded today. This is the first meeting attended by India in the field of defence cooperation under the SCO framework.
- The SCO is comprised of China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan.
The Country’s exports grew by 12 point 36 percent in December 2017 to 27 point 03 billion US dollars on account of strong performance by sectors like engineering goods and petroleum products.
- According to data released by Ministry of Commerce and Industry, exports have been on a positive trajectory since August 2016 to December 2017 with a dip of 1.1 percent in the month of October last year.
- Exports of engineering goods as well as petroleum products showed an increase of over 25 percent in December.
A 100-metre high air purification tower in Xian in Shaanxi province has helped reduce smog levels in China.
- The tower has been built in Xian in Shaanxi province and is undergoing testing by researchers at the Institute of Earth Environment at the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
Science & Technologies
The first day image captured by India’s recently launched weather observation Cartosat-2 series satellite shows a part of Indore city in Madhya Pradesh with the Holkar Cricket Stadium in the centre.
- The image was acquired on January 15, three days after the launch of the satellite, and released yesterday on the website of the Bengaluru-headquartered Indian Space Research Organisation.
Schemes / Programme
Jammu and Kashmir Finance Minister Haseeb Drabu announced an exclusive industrial development scheme to expand and promote business activities in the state.
- Winding up the discussion on the Budget for 2018-19 in the Assembly, Drabu said that under the scheme, to be rolled out soon, central capital investment subsidy of 30 per cent would be provided for plant and machinery and buildings for hotels.
Odisha government today announced an artists' assistance scheme called the 'Mukshyamantri Kalakar Sahayata Yojana' (MMKSJ) under which 50,000 artists from across the state will get a monthly assistance of Rs 1,200.
- The announcement in this regard was made by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik after a meeting, attended by culture minister A C Panda, Chief Secretary A P Padhi and other officials.
- "The government has decided to give Rs 1,200 per month as artist assistance.
Tata Consultancy Services signed a 690-million dollar (Rs 4,400-crore), 10-year deal with M&G Prudential, the UK and European savings and investments business unit of Prudential.
- The agreement covers more than 4 million customer policies. TCS said it will digitally transform M&G Prudential's business and deliver enhanced service to its customers in the UK.
Jammu and Kashmir government on Monday signed a Memorandum of understanding (MoU) titled, 'School Education Transformation Roadmap', signed between the state's Department of School Education and Union Minister of Human Resource Development (MHRD), over 9,000 J-K students could participate in an exchange programme.
- The document of roadmap was a joint study of the Centre and the Jammu and Kashmir government.
- It is the first step in providing an overarching framework for school education reforms for the state.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
The Raisina Dialogue is expected to kick off on Tuesday at 6 pm in New Delhi. Theme of the Raisina Dialogue (16 to 18 January) is Managing Disruptive Transitions: Ideas, Institutions and Idioms.
- Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is on a six-day visit to India, is slated to deliver the inaugural speech at the third edition of the geo-political conference.
- The Raisina inaugural will see Netanyahu speak and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj give the vote of thanks. At 8 pm, Union Minister Jayant Sinha will participate in a discussion entitled: Navigating the Chrome Age: Jobs, Growth and Public Policy.
Veteran journalist NK Trikha passes away.
- Veteran journalist NK Trikha passed away this afternoon at All India Institute of Medical Sciences here after a prolonged illness.