Current Affairs Updates - 16 January 2018
Today we have provided some of the important Daily Current Affairs Updates for 16th of january 2018. These are very important for the upcoming government exams of Bank, SSC and Railways. We would advise our candidates to go through the Note Down points on a daily basis. Also, aspirants should try practising Current Affairs Quizzes regularly for better performance.
Khelo India anthem launched by sports minister Rajyavardhan Rathore.
- Khelo India School Games 2018, a brainchild of Olympian and sports minister Rajyavardhan Rathore, will be held at multiple venues across Delhi from January 31
- The union sports ministry ambitious programme, ‘Khelo India’ -- an initiative to scout for talent at the grassroots and provide it substantial long-term scholarship – will be launched on January 31.
Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM), under the department of industrial policy and promotion, has launched a competition 'IPrism' for college and university students to foster a culture of innovation and creativity in the youth.
- Another category in the competition is for a mobile gaming app on intellectual property (IP).
- Cash prizes of Rs 4 lakh will be given to the winning teams along with mementos and certificates.
Tourism sector of the nation is blooming year by year, as the Foreign Tourists Arrivals have bloomed by 15.2% in December 2017 as compared to December 2016.
- The number of FTAs in December 2017 was 11.76 lakh as compared to FTAs of 10.21 lakh in December 2016 and 9.13 lakh in December 2015.
- The growth rate in FTAs in December 2017 over December 2016 was 15.2%, compared to 11.9% in December 2016 over December 2015.
Defence & Railway
Indo-US joint military exercise ‘Vajra Prahar’ to be held at Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Seattle.
- The last edition was held in Jodhpur in March 2017. This edition’s Indian Army team is from the Pune-headquartered Southern Command.
- The aim of the exercise is to promote military relations between the two countries by enhancing interoperability and mutual exchange of tactics between Special Forces.
Application / Portal
Digital launch of ‘I4Fund call for proposal’ website at India-Israel Business Summit.
- The "India-Israel Industrial R&D and Technological Innovation Fund (I4F)" was announced in July, 2017 during the PM’s visit to Israel. Under this, the Department of Science and Technology, India and the National Innovation Authority of Israel have established a 40 million US dollar Fund.
Bangladesh, India and Nepal have given nod to operating procedures for movement of passenger vehicles in the sub-region under Bangladesh-Bhutan-India-Nepal (BBIN) motor vehicles agreement.
- For seamless flow of passenger and cargo traffic in the region, BBIN motor vehicles agreement (MVA) was signed by the transport ministers of the BBIN countries in Thimphu, Bhutan on 15 June 2015. However, Bhutan could not ratify it later.
India-Israel sign bilateral agreements on energy, cyber security.
- PM Modi invited Israeli defence companies to take advantage of the liberalized FDI regime to make more in India with Indian companies. The two countries also inked 9 MoUs in areas like oil and gas, air transport, space, etc.
- In the joint statement, the two leaders also expressed desire to scale up the existing Centers of Excellence in India which have been a main-stay of agricultural cooperation between the two countries by bringing in advanced Israeli practices and technology.
Johnson & Johnson partners with Maharashtra government on health interventions.
- Deepak Sawant, the State’s Public Health and Family Welfare Minister, said that nine districts in Maharashtra faced the maximum rate of infant mortality.
- In these districts, J&J India will organize skill development programmes for nurses, along with activities including training to provide care to infants, the note said.
- The districts include Nanded, Beed, Jalgaon, Dhule, Aurangabad, Jalna, Gadchirol, Hingoli and Nadurbar.