Current Affairs Updates - 5 December 2017
Corporation Bank has launched its RuPay Select and RuPay Platinum credit cards.
- A press release said that Corporation Bank’s RuPay credit cards are accepted at all RuPay-enabled 1.5 million plus PoS terminals and 80,000 plus e-commerce merchants in India and all ICS Partner acceptance points (POS, e-commerce merchants) globally.
Aditya Puri, the Managing Director of HDFC Bank, is the only Indian on Fortune’s ‘Businessperson of the Year’ list at 18th rank rising from 2016's 36th rank.
- Nvidia’s Jensen Huang, a Taiwan-born American entrepreneur and businessman, has topped the list. Some others who made it to the list are: Jamie Dimon of JP Morgan Chase, Marc Benioff of Salesforce, Mary Dillion of Ulta Beauty, Francisco D’Souza of Cognizant, Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook, Shantanu Narayen of Adobe Systems.
Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro announced that the country wants to launch a cryptocurrency – the petro – backed by oil, diamonds and gold reserves.
- In his regular hours-long Sunday broadcast, Maduro said that the petro would help the country to “advance in issues of monetary sovereignty, to make financial transactions and overcome the financial blockade.”
Schemes / Programme
Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu launched 'Deen Dayal Divyangajan Sahajya Scheme' on the occasion of International Day of Persons with Disabilities where every differently abled person in the state would be entitled to a one-time grant of Rs 5,000 for their treatment.
- The Vice President also lauded the Assam government for introducing the Pranam Act that entails all government employees to make contributions from their salaries for the elderly and differently abled family members.
The Telangana government entered into an agreement with Vindhya E-Infomedia Private Limited to set up the IT campus, which will focus on creating employment opportunity for persons with disabilities.
- This campus, spread over 10 acres, will come up near the Hyderabad International Airport in the IT Park developed by the government, and will have amenities like training, residential facility, and delivery centres that will cater to various domestic and international clients.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
The first International Exhibition and Conference on AYUSH and Wellness sector- AROGYA 2017 has begun in New Delhi. Theme: 'Enhancing the global potential of Ayush'
- The main objective of the event is to showcase the strength and scientific validation of Indian System of Medicine in the global context. The fair will give a boost to AYUSH Products in International Market.
15th Finance Commission to hold first meeting
- Newly constituted 15th Finance Commission to pay courtesy call to Arun Jaitley, seek finance ministry’s views on terms of reference separately.
International conference on climate change begins in Nepal
- The four-day conference is attended by more than 300 experts from different countries of Asia including India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, Myanmar. V K Saraswat, member of India's Neeti foundation is leading the Indian delegation in the conference.
Sports: Awards & Honours
Deepika Kumari wins bronze for India in Indoor Archery World Cup
- Deepika got past three of her teammates -- Nivetha Ganesan 6-0, Laishram Bombayla Devi 7-3 and Ankita Bhakat 6-2 -- to make the last-four.
Veteran actor Shashi Kapoor dies at 79.
- The Bollywood legend was admitted to Kokilaben Ambani Hospital in Andheri on Sunday night, reportedly, for a chest infection treatment. The actor struggled with the condition even in 2014, post his bypass surgery.