Current Affairs Updates - 7 December 2017
The six-member Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) kept the short-term lending rate, also known as repo rate, unchanged at 6 per cent in its fifth bi-monthly policy review of the ongoing fiscal year.
- Consequently, the reverse repo rate under the LAF remains at 5.75 per cent, and the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate at 6.25 per cent.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to rationalise Merchant Discount Rate (MDR) to boost debit card transactions.
Mohammed bin Salman, the crown prince of Saudi Arabia, has won TIME’s Person of the Year 2017 online reader poll, earning more votes than other world leaders, industry titans, entertainers and activists.
- The 32-year-old crown prince received 24% of the “yes” votes cast. Second place went to the people around the world who shared their experiences with sexual assault and harassment as part of the #MeToo movement, with 6% of the votes.
India’s global initiative, the International Solar Alliance (ISA), which aims at increasing solar energy deployment in member countries, will become a treaty-based international intergovernmental organization.
- The ISA is an Indian initiative, jointly launched by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the president of France on 30 November 2015 in Paris, on the sidelines of COP-21, the UN climate conference. It aims at addressing obstacles to deployment at scale of solar energy through better harmonization and aggregation of demand from solar rich countries lying fully or partially between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. Till date, 46 countries have signed and 19 countries have ratified the framework agreement of the ISA. The ISA interim secretariat has been operational as a de-facto organization since 25 January 2016.
Modi emerges as ‘most tweeted about world leader’ after Trump
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has emerged as the “most tweeted about world leader” after U.S. President Donald Trump in 2017, microblogging site Twitter said on Tuesday.
- Two postings of former U.S. president Barack Obama were among the top three most-liked tweets of 2017.
Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar will promote the government's flagship agriculture schemes like soil health card and crop insurance
- The flagship schemes are meant for the benefit of farmers. We want to create more awareness so that farmers take advantage of them. We have roped in Akshay Kumar for TV ads for wider publicity of our schemes.
Russia’s Olympic team has been barred from the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
- The country’s government officials are forbidden to attend, its flag will not be displayed at the opening ceremony and its anthem will not sound. Any athletes from Russia who receive special dispensation to compete will do so as individuals wearing a neutral uniform, and the official record books will forever show that Russia won zero medals.
President Trump formally recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel reversing nearly seven decades of American foreign policy and setting in motion a plan to move the United States Embassy from Tel Aviv to the fiercely contested Holy City.
- The president cast his decision as a break with decades of failed policy on Jerusalem, which the United States, along with virtually every other nation in the world, has declined to recognize as the capital since Israel’s founding in 1948. That policy, he said, brought us “no closer to a lasting peace agreement between Israel and the Palestinians.”
Defence & Railway
The Surface to Air Missile AKASH with indigenous radio frequency seeker against target Banshee, has been successfully launched from the Launch Complex-III at ITR Chandipur .
- This missile is being inducted into Army as Short Range Surface to Air Missile (SRSAM). This is the first Surface to Air Missile with indigenous seeker that has been test fired. With this success, India has achieved the capability of making any type of Surface to Air Missile.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
Indian cricketer Yuvraj Singh will be promoting a UNICEF sports initiative for youngsters in South Asia, "Power of Sports to Shape the Future of Adolescents"
- Yuvraj was joined by under-19 players from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka who will compete in the ICC under-19 World Cup in New Zealand in January next year. A panel discussion was followed by a friendly match between the players and the youth who attended the event which was jointly organised by UNICEF South Asia and the ICC.
Nepal will hold an international conference to draw attention on climate change and its adverse effects on people in the Hindu Kush mountain range.
- President Bidya Devi Bhandari will inaugurate the four-day long conference aimed at developing solutions for a sustainable future for Asia that could withstand the impacts of climate change.
The 3rd edition of the Dialogue between the NITI Aayog and the Development Research Council of China, the DRC- NITI Aayog Dialogue was held in Beijing.
- The Indian delegation led by Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog included senior officials from NITI Aayog as well as Ministries of New & Renewable Energy and Food Processing. The Chinese delegation comprised of researchers and officials from DRC as well as the Chinese Ministries of Finance, Commerce, Foreign Affairs, and the National Development & Reform Commission.
Sports: Awards & Honours
India beat Nepal 3-0 to lift South Asian badminton title .
- India lived upto the favourites’ tag and walloped Nepal 3-0 to win the first ever South Asian Regional Badminton Tournament (team championship) in Guwahati.