Current Affairs Updates - 21st November 2017
The “Qaumi Ekta Week” (National Integration Week) will be observed all over the country, from the 19th to 25th November, 2017.
- The observation of the ‘Quami Ekta Week’ will help to highlight the inherent strength and resilience of our nation to withstand actual and potential threats to the eclectic and secular fabric of our country, and nurture a spirit of communal harmony in its widest sense. This occasion also provides an opportunity to reaffirm age old traditions and faith in the values of tolerance, co-existence and brotherhood in a multi-cultural and multi-religious society.
World Fisheries Day: 21st November 2017
- World Fisheries Day was established to draw attention to overfishing, habitat destruction and other serious threats to the sustainability of our marine and freshwater resources. Observance can also help bring awareness of the importance of aquatic environments in sustaining life both in and out of water. Through participation in engaging classroom activities on this special day, young people can be encouraged to help make a difference in the health of our aquatic ecosystems and the variety of species they support.
India has moved up one position to 126th in terms of per capita GDP of countries while Qatar remains the world’s richest on this parameter, as per International Monetary Fund (IMF) data.
- The data, which forms part of the latest World Economic Outlook report of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), ranks over 200 countries in terms of per capita GDP based on purchasing power parity (PPP).
- PPP between two countries is the rate at which the currency of one country needs to be converted into that of a second country to ensure that a given amount of the first country’s currency will purchase the same volume of goods and services in the second country as it does in the first.
Actor Trisha Krishnan is the first actor from South India to be bestowed with the UNICEF celebrity advocate status.
- She will voice the rights of young people, especially girls. The actor will support the efforts to address problems faced by children in Tamil Nadu and Kerala such as anaemia, early marriage, labour and child abuse.
Science & Technologies
Scientists have discovered a new species of parasitic flowering plant named Gleadovia konyakianorum which was identified during a botanical exploration earlier this year near Tobu town of Mon district in eastern Nagaland.
- It is a holoparasite [complete parasite] that derives its entire nutritional requirement from the host plant, which is a Strobilanthes species. The plant was found in the semi-evergreen forest at an altitude of 1,500-1,600 metres,” said Dilip Kumar Roy, a scientist with the Botanical Survey of India (BSI).
NASA launches Joint Polar Satellite System 1 (JPSS-1),the First-of-Its-Kind Satellite Launches to Track Earth's Weather Like Never Before.
- JPSS-1 is the first in a series of upgraded weather satellites operated by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), in partnership with NASA. The five scientific instruments aboard the JPSS-1 can provide information about Earth's atmosphere, oceans and land. The instruments measure temperature, moisture, rainfall, snow and ice cover, vegetation cover, and ozone levels, providing images that can be used to track things like fires, volcanic eruptions, floods and droughts.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
The 42nd World Congress of the International Committee of Military Medicine (ICMM) organised by the Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS) under the aegis of the Ministry of Defence (MoD) began at Delhi. The theme of this 42nd World Congress is “Military Medicine in Transition: Looking Ahead.”
- Around 350-400 foreign delegates from 80 countries are attending the event. In addition, about 300 Indian delegates comprising Armed Forces Medical, Dental, Nursing and Veterinary Officers are participating in it. Top Indian scientific institutions, MoD, Ministry of Health, the United Nations and the International Committee of Red Cross are also represented at the Congress.
Women's Youth World Boxing Championship begins in Guwahati on Sunday. In AIBA women youth boxing championship being held in Guwahati , Indian pugilists will start their campaign on Monday.
- In 54 kilogram category , Shashi Chopra will play against Uzbek opponent while in 60 kg category Mizoram's Vanlalhriapuii will bout against Korean player.
- On the other hand, Astha Pahwa will take on opponent from Bulgaria in 69 kg. India sent a strong 10 members contingent in the event. Nearly 200 players from over 30 countries have taken part in the event.
The UNFCCC Climate Change Conference (COP23) was held in Bonn, Germany where It was concluded with countries putting in place a roadmap for ‘Talanoa Dialogue’, a year-long process to assess countries’ progress on climate actions.
- The negotiations were supposed to end by Friday evening but differences over the issue of finance (contributions from rich nations to help developing countries adapt to challenges of climate change) dragged it till Saturday morning with negotiators working overnight to finalise the outcome of the Conference.
The Indian National Bar Association (INBA) in collaboration with the Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, and the Centre for Trade and Investment Law (CTIL), Indian Institute of Foreign Trade organized the ‘Bar Leadership Summit on Reforms in the Indian Legal Sector’ in New Delhi recently.
- The Minister of State for Human Resource Development (Higher Education), Shri Satya Pal Singh graced the occasion, senior officials from the Government of India and several leading lawyers and professionals from the legal sector were also present.
- The Summit explored issues and concerns surrounding the liberalization of the Indian legal services sector.
Sports: Awards & Honours
Grigor Dimitrov beats David Goffin in three sets to secure first ATP World Tour Finals title
- By beating Belgium’s David Goffin 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 to win the Nitto ATP Finals, Dimitrov became the first debutant to win the singles title at the year-end championships since Alex Corretja in 1998.
U-19 Asia Cup: Afghanistan thrash Pakistan by 185 runs to lift maiden title
- Afghanistan is the new developing cricket nation that everyone has to watch out for and they are just giving more proof about it. Afghanistan's players thrashed Pakistan in the final of the Under-19 Asia Cup to register a historic triumph and lift their maiden title at Kuala Lumpur on Sunday, November 19.
Delhi Half Marathon: Ethiopians Almaz Ayana, Berhanu Legese win women's and men's event
- Current women's world athlete of the year Almaz Ayana of Ethiopia clinched gold in her debut race while compatriot Berhanu Legese won the men's event in the Delhi Half Marathon today.
- Ayana, the world's leading woman long distance runner on the track, clocked one hour, seven minutes and 11 seconds to emerge champion in her maiden half marathon race as Ethiopians ran away with all the three top positions.
Jana Novotna, former Wimbledon tennis champion, dies aged 49
- Jana Novotna, who has died of cancer at 49, will forever be remembered for a moment of tears in defeat on Centre Court at Wimbledon, as much as the 100 titles she won in a long and lauded tennis career.
Senior Congress leader Priya Ranjan Das Munshi, who was in a coma since 2008, passed away on Monday.
- He was 72. He had been critically ill since the past one month and succumbed to the illness at 12.10 pm. His family members including wife Deepa Dasmunsi and their son were at his bedside at that time.