Current Affairs Updates - 31 October 2017
Vigilance Awareness Week to be observed from 30th October to 4th November, 2017 with theme “My Vision-Corruption Free India”
- Vice-President Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu to be the Chief Guest at the Inaugural Function
- The Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) has decided that this year the Vigilance Awareness Week would be observed from 30th October to 4th November, 2017. The theme of the week would be “My Vision-Corruption Free India”. The Vice President of India Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu will be the Chief Guest at the Inaugural Function to be held on 30th October 2017.
- The observance of the Vigilance Awareness Week would commence with the Integrity Pledge by public servants in the Ministries/Departments/Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs)/Public Sector Banks (PSBs) and all other Organisations on 30th October, 2017 at 11.00 a.m.
New Appointments: National
Satya Gopal appointed chief secretary of Arunchal Pradesh
- Delhi Principal Home Secretary Satya Gopal has been transferred to Arunchal Pradesh as the chief secretary. Delhi Lt Governor Anil Baijal relieved Gopal, a 1988-batch IAS officer, from the post following an order of the Union Home Ministry.
Vice Admiral Ajit Kumar P assumes charge of Vice Chief of Naval Staff
- Vice Admiral Ajit Kumar P on Monday assumed charge as the Vice Chief of Naval Staff.
- Vice Admiral Ajit Kumar P assumed charge as the Vice Chief of Naval Staff from Vice Admiral Karambir Singh, who proceeds to Visakhapatnam and is scheduled to take over as Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief Eastern Naval Command on October 31,2017.
AU Small Bank, Sidbi launch Rs200 crore fund for MSMEs
- AU Small Finance Bank tied up with Small Industries Development Bank of India (Sidbi) on Saturday to launch a Rs200 crore fund for providing loans to micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs).
- The programme will fund term loans in the Rs25 lakh to Rs2 crore ticket size. “This joint financing programme with Sidbi aims to enhance credit to MSMEs. We are looking at disbursing this amount in the next 12-15 months to nearly 100 units,” its managing director and chief executive Sanjay Agrawal told PTI.
Cleartrip named 'Best Mobile App for Travel' at Mobexx Awards 2017
- Online travel solutions provider Cleartrip today said it was named the 'Best Mobile App for Travel and Leisure' at the Mobexx Awards 2017.
- The award was conferred for the success that it has had on the mobile platform, seen by many as the future of advertising and brand marketing, Cleartrip said in a release.
Government makes use of Public Finance Management System mandatory for central schemes.
- The Union Government has made use of Public Finance Management System (PFMS) mandatory for all central schemes to ensure that benefits of government s...
Indian Air Force chief B S Dhanoa will on Monday reach Vietnam on a five-day visit
- The main focus of the visit would be on improving bilateral relations, promoting defence ties and evolving steps to further strengthen defence cooperation between the two Air Forces
Narendra Modi to meet Italian PM Paolo Gentiloni
- Italian prime minister Paolo Gentiloni is set to hold talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday, opening a new chapter in bilateral relations during the first prime ministerial visit from Italy to India in a decade. The visit marks the end of a chill in ties that set in 2012 after the killing of two Indian fishermen by a pair of Italian marines off the coast of Kerala.
India sends first wheat shipment to Afghanistan via Chabahar port
- India has flagged off shipment of wheat for Afghanistan through Iran’s Chabahar port. It was flagged off from Kandla port in Gujarat by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and her Afghan counterpart Salahuddin Rabbani through video conferencing.
Rwanda Gets First International Cricket Gahanga Cricket Stadium
- Rwanda's first cricket stadium was inaugurated Saturday by President Paul Kagame as a permanent home for developing the sport in the country.
- Gahanga Cricket Stadium in the capital Kigali is built on a 4.5 hectare (11 acre) ground and cost $1.3 million (1.1 million euros), the majority of the funds raised by international cricket players eager to see the game take off in Rwanda.
Science & Technologies
After Doklam standoff, ITBP gets satellite control to keep eye on China border
- The government armed the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) with the country’s primary communication satellite to track activities along the Himalayan border, as part of efforts to enhance security after the Doklam standoff with China this summer.
- The paramilitary force will supervise feeds from the Indian Space Research Organisation’s (ISRO) geostationary communication satellite, GSAT-6, that keeps an eye on the entire country.
Defence & Railway
PM Modi Inaugurates Bidar-Kalburgi Railway Line, Flag Off Train Services
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is in Karnataka today, offered prayers at the famous Lord Manjunatha Swami temple at Dharmasthala. He then attended a function organised by the Sri Kshetra Dharmasthala Rural development Project in the temple town in Dakshina Kannada district. The prime minister symbolically launched the distribution of RuPay Cards for self-help group members who enrolled for Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana through the Sri Kshetra Dharmasthala Rural development Project, a non-governmental organisation, during the programme. PM Modi symbolically transfered RuPay cards to women who would then conduct banking transactions in the MICRO ATMs placed on the dais during the programme. He then traveled to the state capital Bengaluru to attend a public function organised by the Vedanta Bharati at the Palace Grounds. He will also inaugurate the 110 km Bidar-Kalaburgi railway track in the Hyderabad-Karnataka region that will reduce the distance between Bengaluru and New Delhi by 380km and travel time by six to eight hours.
Army finalises mega Rs 40,000 crore procurement plan to replace ageing weapons
- The Army has finalised one of its biggest procurement plans for infantry modernisation under which a large number of light machine guns, battle carbines and assault rifles are being purchased at a cost of nearly Rs 40,000 crore to replace its ageing and obsolete weapons.
Books & Authors
Publication of book "Dreamnation: Uniting a Country with Handwritten Dreams" on inspirational words of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam: co-author of the book is Sage Mathew and Jube John and is published by Bloomsbury
- Mithali Raj, the captain of the Indian women's cricket team, released an online book on the 86th birth anniversary of former president Dr. A.P.J abdul kalam.
- A book entitled "Dreamnation: Uniting a Country with Handwritten Dreams" contains a collection of more than 200 handcrafted and handwritten postcards from India. The co-author of the book is Sage Mathew and Jube John and is published by Bloomsbury.
Application / Portal
SIDBI revamps portal www.udyamimitra.in for easy credit access
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has revamped its portal www.udyamimitra.in with enhanced features to provide easy access to credit and hand-holding services for micro small medium enterprises (MSME).
- The portal brings transparency and competition among lenders and removes the need to approach several banks individually,” SIDBI said in a statement.
- “In the market place, any bank, other than those requested, can also pick up the application for sanction, thus bringing in best option to MSMEs,” it added.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
India to host UN wildlife summit in 2020
- India will host the next United Nations (UN) global wildlife conference in 2020, it was announced on Saturday.
- “India to be the host of the next CMS Conference of the Parties CMSCOP13! Officially announced at the closing CMS COP12 plenary, in Manila,” the UN for Environment Programme tweeted.
- The CMS COP is held once in three years.
FM to attend India-UAE Partnership Summit in Dubai
- JK Minister for Finance, Dr Haseeb Drabu on Sunday left for UAE to attend the India-UAE Partnership Summit (IUPS) to be held in Dubai on 30/31 October 2017
- The Summit is being jointly organized by the Embassy of India, Abu Dhabi, Consulate General of India, Dubai and UAE-based premium business body Business Leaders' Forum (BLF).
- Around 800 top businessmen, Ministers, officials, investors and academics from both India and UAE are attending the summit with the objective of significantly enhancing investments from UAE to India.
- The summit will focus on key areas of strategic partnership, investments-implementation and travel and tourism sector.
India and US Hold 11th Trade Policy Forum Meeting in Washington D.C. On October 26TH
- The 11th Trade Policy Forum (TPF) Meeting was held in Washington D.C. on 26th October 2017. The Minister for Commerce and Industry, Shri Suresh Prabhu had productive discussions with the United States Trade Representative, Ambassador Robert Lighthizer and his team in a cordial, friendly and positive manner.
- The Minister for Commerce and Industry noted that the TPF serves as a robust platform that contributes towards promoting bilateral trade and investment between India and the US. During the meeting, discussions were held on issues related to bilateral trade between the two countries, areas of mutual cooperation, market access in agriculture, non-agricultural goods and services and Intellectual Property Rights (IPR).
Sports: Awards & Honours
Kidambi Srikanth beats Kenta Nishimoto to win French Open Super Series title
- Riding the crest of his sparkling form Kidambi Srikanth dished out a blemish less performance to collect his fourth Super Series title of the year. The 25-year-old dazzled in the 'City of Love' to become the first Indian French Open champion on Sunday.
Virat Kohli overtakes AB de Villiers to become fastest to reach 9000 ODI runs
- Virat Kohli just keeps on scoring runs and smashing records! The India captain has now surpassed South African star AB de Villiers to become the fastest to reach 9000 One-Day International runs -- in just 194 innings.
- The list, that is now lead by Kohli, has De Villiers on second with 9000 runs in 205 innings and former India captain Sourav Ganguly is third having reached the mark in 228 innings.
Johor Cup hockey: Indian junior team defeat Malaysia to win bronze medal
- Indian Junior Men’s Hockey team beat hosts Malaysia 4-0 in the Bronze medal match of the 7th Sultan of Johor Cup 2017 at the Taman Daya Hockey Stadium here today.
- Goals from Vishal Antil (15’, 25’), Vivek Prasad (11’) and Shilanand Lakra (21’) were enough for India to finish their tournament with the Bronze medal.
Swiss Indoors: Roger Federer beats Juan Martin del Potro to win eighth Basel title
- Switzerland's Roger Federer beat Argentine Juan Martin del Potro to win the Swiss Indoors - then withdrew from next week's Paris Masters.
- Federer's 6-7 (5-7) 6-4 6-3 win moved him within 1,460 points of Spanish world number one Rafael Nadal before the final regular-season event.
- But the 36-year-old will not play in Paris, all but ending his chances of ending the year top of the rankings.