Current Affairs Updates - 24 October 2017
New Appointments: National
Gujarat-cadre IPS officer Rakesh Asthana appointed CBI Special Director
- The cabinet committee for appointments has appointed 1984- batch Gujarat cadre IPS officer Rakesh Asthana as CBI special director. He is currently posted as additional director. AGMUT cadre IPS officer of 1984 batch Deepak Kumar Mishra has been named Special DG in CRPF.
- He is currently additional DG in the same organisation. Odisha cadre IPS officer from the same batch Gurbacham Singh has been appointed special director in IB.
Jayant Rikhye appointed HSBC India CEO, replaces Stuart Milne
- New HSBC India CEO Jayant Rikhye has been with HSBC since 1989 and is currently serving as head of strategy and planning for Asia Pacific
- Jayant Rikhye has been appointed as the chief executive of India operations of Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corp. Ltd (HSBC), the bank announced on Monday. He will take charge from 1 December and will be succeeding Stuart Milne.
- Headquarter of HSBC-London,United Kingdom
India Post Payments Bank names ex-Vodafone executive Suresh Sethi as CEO
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has appointed Suresh Sethi, ex-MD of Vodafone's payment bank M-Pesa, as its MD and CEO. Sethi will take over the position from AP Singh who had been the interim MD and CEO since January 2017. Sethi has worked for over 27 years in the banking and financial services industry.
India's First Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra for Skilling in Smart Cities
- To bring momentum in skilling through collaborative efforts, the Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh along with Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Shri Dharmendra Pradhan here today inaugurated India's first Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKK) for Skilling in Smart Cities, in collaboration with New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC). The ministers also laid the foundation for a Skill Development Centre at Moti Bagh and a Centre of Excellence at Dharam Marg, New Delhi.
Haryana govt plans PGs for cattle to boost milk production
- Haryana government said today it has decided to introduce a new concept for people living in high-rises, or in urban areas, who want to rear their own cattle and produce "quality milk" for their consumption.
- The government will set up PGs for cattle for them.
Telangana CM K Chandrasekhara Rao lays foundation stone for mega textile park in Warangal
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhara Rao on Sunday laid the foundation stone for the Kakatiya Mega Textile Park, which is a fibre-to-fabric integrated textile cluster proposed to be built on 1,200 acres of land near Shayampet in the Warangal district, about 170 km from here.
- This is the first industrial park project to reach the ground-breaking stage in three years after the formation of the state. The project also assumes significance due to its location as the cotton-rich Warangal region was once a hotbed of Naxalite activities in Telangana.
Japanese Prime Minister Abe wins big in national elections to be reelected as the PM of Japan
- Japan's leader has scored a major victory in national elections that returned his ruling coalition to power in decisive fashion.
- Japanese media said Monday that Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's Liberal Democratic Party and a small coalition partner had together secured at least 312 seats in the 465-seat lower house of parliament, passing the 310-barrier for a two-thirds majority. Four seats remained undecided.
Defence & Railway
Garud commandos to provide security for IAF exercise on Agra-Lucknow Expressway
- A contingent of nearly 130 Garud commandos will be providing unbreachable 360-degree security parameter to the maiden Indian Air Force exercise on the Agra-Lucknow expressway on Tuesday.
- IAF special force men who would be airlifted by C-130 Hercules from Hindon airbase will disembark from the four-engine turboprop transport aircraft and take a position on either side of the airstrip to cordon it off for the fighter operations on 3.5 km airstrip, specially made for military aircraft near Bangarmau, Unnao district in Uttar Pradesh.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
Ministry of Tourism’s 3-day Grand Finale of Paryatan Parv to begin at India Gate
- The 20-day-long Paryatan Parv, an event organised by Ministry of Tourism, Government of India in association with other departments of the government and State governments, to celebrate the spirit of tourism, will conclude over a three-day-long grand finale starting today, at India Gate Lawns in New Delhi.
Nirmala Sitharaman to attend Southeast Asian defence ministers’ meet in Philippines
- In her first foreign visit as defence minister, Nirmala Sitharaman will travel to the Philippines on Monday to attend a Southeast Asian defence ministers’ meeting which is likely to review the regional security architecture including China’s growing assertiveness in the South China Sea.
BSF holds half marathon to honour officers’ sacrifices
- To commemorate the valiant deeds and supreme sacrifice made by the Border Security Force (BSF) officers in the service of the nation, Frontier HQ BSF Rajasthan here organized 'BSF Half Marathon-2017' on Sunday. This event, based on initiative in terms of BSF Marathon, addressed triple goals which included Run for Martyrs, Run for Public Connect and Run for Unity.
Awards & Honours
Alka Yagnik and Udit Narayan to get Lata Mangeshkar Award
- Noted music composers Usha Khanna, Bappi Lahiri, Anu Malik and playback singers Alka Yagnik and Udit Narayan have been selected for the Madhya Pradesh governments prestigious National Lata Mangeshkar Award.
Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men's Player for 2nd straight year
- Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo was named the Best FIFA Men's Player of the year for the second consecutive time, finishing ahead of Barcelona's Lionel Messi and PSG's Neymar Jr, on Monday. The 32-year-old led Real Madrid to their 12th Champions League and 33rd La Liga titles last season. Ronaldo previously won FIFA World Player of the Year in 2008.
Real Madrid's Zidane named Best FIFA Men's Coach of the year
- Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane was named the Best FIFA Men's Coach at The Best FIFA Football awards in London on Monday. Zidane had led the club to its 12th Champions League and 33rd La Liga titles last season. Meanwhile, Juventus' Italian goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon was named the best goalkeeper of the year, ahead of Keylor Navas and Manuel Neuer.
PSG's 18-yr-old Kylian Mbappe named 2017's Golden Boy
- PSG forward Kylian Mbappe has won the Golden Boy award for the best young player in Europe, beating competition from world's second-costliest player Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele and Manchester United's Marcus Rashford. The 18-year-old Frenchman scored 15 goals last season for eventual Ligue-1 winners Monaco. The award, in its 15th year, is given to Europe's best player aged under 21.
Sports: Awards & Honours
Hockey Asia Cup: India beat Malaysia 2-1 to lift their 3rd continental title
- India on Sunday ended their 10-year wait for continental triumph when they beat a gutsy Malaysia 2-1 in a nail-bitting final to clinch their third Asia Cup hockey title, here on Sunday.
- This was the 10th tournament.
- It was held in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Gaganjeet Bhullar clinches commanding win in Macao Open golf
- Gaganjeet Bhullar held his nerve to complete a wire-to-wire victory and lift his eighth Asian Tour title at the Macao Open on Sunday.
- Bhullar had seen his four-shot lead reduced to one in round three but on Sunday, he drained five birdies on the front nine and won by three shots despite a nerve-jangling double bogey on 16.
Amjyot Singh becomes third Indian in NBA
- It was Amjyot Singh's dream to be part of world's best basketball league.
- The 6-foot-9-inch Chandigarh hoopster became the third Indian - after Satnam Singh and Palpreet Singh Brar - to walk into the National Basketball Association (NBA) league.
Lewis Hamilton wins the United States Grand Prix to extend championship lead and set-up Mexico carnival
- Lewis Hamilton took one look at Sebastian Vettel and decided, in the finest old Texan tradition, that this town was not big enough for the both of them. Ever since the United States Grand Prix moved to Austin in 2012, he has been the fastest draw in the West, winning five of six races here, but few were so cathartic or so precious as this. Surging 66 points clear of Sebastian Vettel with just 75 left to play for, Hamilton is now close enough to a fourth world title to taste it.
India And Bangladesh Resolve To Fight Challenge Of Terrorism Together
- India and Bangladesh today discussed the common challenge of terrorism and resolved to fight the scourge together even as New Delhi reaffirmed its status as a reliable development partner of Dhaka.
- "We are both determined to protect our societies from the threat of ideologies of hate, violence and terror by adopting a zero tolerance policy and a comprehensive approach in fighting violent extremism and terrorism at all levels," External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said after talks with the Bangladeshi side as part of the fourth Joint Consultative Commission between the two countries.