Current Affairs Update - 6th October 2017
Do You Know?
Google launches Pixel Buds, its 1st ever wireless headphones
- Google on Wednesday launched its first-ever pair of wireless headphones called the 'Pixel Buds' priced at $159. Pixel Buds features gesture controls, including swipes or touches to switch songs, answer phone calls, or adjust volume levels. It is equipped with Google Assistant and users can activate Google Translate to get real-time translations of conversations in 40 languages on Pixel phones.
World Space Week to be observed from 4th October to 10th October to celebrate each year at the international level the contributions of space science and technology to the betterment of the human condition” with the Theme: “Exploring New Worlds in Space”.
- Each year, the World Space Week Association (WSWA) selects a theme for the upcoming World Space Week (WSW) to provide a focus of the activities and events that take a place throughout the world, during 4-10 October . WSWA is pleased to announce the 2017 World Space Week Theme: “Exploring New Worlds in Space”.
New Appointments: International
Pakistan appoints Zafar Mahmood Abbasi as new navy chief, vice-admiral to replace Muhammad Zakaullah
- Pakistan appointed Vice-Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi as new Chief of Naval Staff to replace Admiral Muhammad Zakaullah who will retire on 6 October.
- According to a statement by the Prime Minister's House, President Mamnoon Hussain approved the appointment of Abbasi on the advice of Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi.
- Abbasi will stand promoted to the rank of Admiral from the date he assumes charge of the office of the Chief of the Naval Staff.
- In Pakistan all services chiefs are appointed by the president at the recommendation of the prime minister who has final say in such appointments.
The Reserve Bank of India opened a branch in the city to make transactions of the state government more convenient.
- The Reserve Bank of India today opened a branch in the city to make transactions of the state government more convenient.
- Inaugurating the RBI's branch here, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat said it was an important step which will speed up economic development of the state besides making financial transactions of the government more convenient.
- Earlier, the state government had to do financial transactions through the Kanpur branch of the RBI, an official release here said.
Forbes India Rich List Out, Mukesh Ambani Tops for 10th Year in a Row, According to Forbes, the combined net worth of the 100 richest Indians stood at 479 billion dollar, a jump of 26% from 374 billion dollar in 2016.
- Forbes Magazine has released its India Rich List for 2017, with Reliance Industries Limited chairman Mukesh Ambani topping the charts for the 10th consecutive year with a net worth if 38 billion dollar.
- Ambani is followed by tech czar Azim Premji who jumped two places with net worth of $19 billion this year. Ranked third are the Hinduja brothers who added 3.2 billion dollar to their net worth.
Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh flags-off Cancer detection ambulance to cure patients free-of-cost
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Dr. Raman Singh today flagged-off 'Cancer diagnosis Ambulance' at his official residence. The vehicle is fitted with ultra-advanced equipment to detect cancer. The patients will be treated free-of-cost.
- The Akhil Bharatiya Marwari Yuva Manch is organizing the cancer detection camps. About Rs Two crore had been invested in the ambulance. The patients who are suffering from oral, throat, breast, prostate, intestinal, liver and other forms of cancer will be medically examined. The ambulance will tour the villages for 45 days.
India’s renewable energy capacity will more than double by 2022, which would be enough to overtake renewable expansion in the EU for the first time
- India’s renewable energy capacity will more than double by 2022, which would be enough to overtake renewable expansion in the European Union for the first time, International Energy Agency (IEA) said in a report.
- The country’s renewable energy installed capacity is 58.30 GW as per the recent government data. The government has an ambitious target of raising it to 175 GW by 2022 including 100 GW of solar and 60 GW of wind energy. “By 2022, India’s renewable capacity will more than double.
India will help Myanmar upgrade a police training centre for women and strengthen the country’s police force as a whole
- India will help Myanmar in upgrading a police training centre for women and strengthen the country’s police force as a whole.
- The Union cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on Wednesday gave its ex-post facto approval to the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Myanmar on upgrading the Women’s Police Training Centre at Yamethin, Myanmar, an official statement said.
- The MoU was signed during the prime minister’s visit to Myanmar on 6 September.
Schemes / Programme
UP govt launches mass marriage scheme wherein Rs 35,000 will be spent on each couple, besides gifting them mobile phones and household items.
- "Under the scheme, mass marriages will be conducted by the social welfare department. Programmes in this regard will be organised by urban local bodies like nagar panchayat, nagar palika and nagar nigam, kshetra panchayats, zila panchayats, government/semi-government organisations and NGOs, which will be authorised by district magistrates of respective districts," state minister Sidhartha Nath Singh told reporters here.
- He said parents of the brides have to be residents of Uttar Prdaesh and should be from below poverty line to avail the scheme.
- "There should be at least 10 couples in the mass marriage ceremony. An amount of Rs 35,000 will be spent on each couple.
- A number of household items and mobile phones will be given as gifts to the couples. The scheme will cover widows and divorced women as well," the minister said.
- The state cabinet also approved draft of The Uttar Pradesh Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Bill-2017.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
World Economic Forum’s 33rd India Economic Summit will kick off in partnership with industry body CII in New Delhi. The theme of the conference is ‘Creating Indian Narratives on Global Challenges’.
- “More than 650 leaders from 35 countries are taking part, allowing Indian business, society and government leaders to interact and collaborate with peers from across the globe,” WEF said in a statement. The summit would discuss issues such as climate change, infrastructure and gender parity, besides demonetisation and the GST.
- The Eighth Conference of Association of SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians inaugurated in Sri Lanka
The eighth Conference of the Association of SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians (ASSP) was inaugurated under the patronage of President Maithripala Sirisena in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- The main theme of this year's conference is 'Association of the SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians'. This Conference is a platform for the Parliamentarians of South Asia to work together to reach the 2030 agenda for Sustainable Development. The conference will be held from October 4 to 6.
The sixth Khushwant Singh Literary Festival will be held at the Kasauli Club, Kasauli, Himachal Pradesh, from October 6 to 8. This year’s theme is ‘70’, marking the seven decades of India’s independence after Partition from Pakistan.
- Started in 2012, when writer Khushwant Singh, known for his bold writing and unorthodox views, was still alive, the annual lit fest is the only one named after an individual. Khushwant Singh, who died at 99 in 2014, did much of his writing in Kasauli. The lit fest, organised by his son Rahul Singh, supports many of Khushwant Singh’s passions such as the education of the girl child, the ecology of the hill station and the cause of the Indian soldier.
- Former Union minister and writer Arun Shourie will deliver the inaugural address at 11am on Friday.
20-day Paryatan Parv to celebrate India as tourism destination in New Delhi.
- Announcing this, newly-installed Minister of State (independent charge) for Tourism Alphons Kannanthanam said the ministry in collaboration with other Central ministries, state governments and stakeholders will organise a “Paryatan Parv” across the country starting tomorrow.
- The Parv will be inaugurated at the Humayun’s Tomb and heritage walks will be organised at the monument from 0800 hrs to 1600 hrs along with a painting competition for students. The formal inauguration of the event will be held at 1700 hrs at the venue which will include a cultural programme with Meera bhajans and Dastan-e-Amir Khusrau being presented.
Awards & Honours
CRPF constable, Puja Kadian wins gold at Wushu Worlds in the women's 75kg Sanda event at Kazan, Russia
- Rohtak player Puja Kadian created history when she became the first Indian wushu player to win a gold medal in the World Championships in Kazan, Russia, on Wednesday.
- Kadian, who is a head constable with CRPF, became the world champion with a win over Evgeniya Stepanova of Russia in the women’s 75kg Sanda event. She had earlier won three silver medals in different weight categories in the previous World Championships.
WWF-India launches environment-education portal, The website focuses on various environmental themes and is a digital hub for schools, teachers and students that brings under its ambit a digital training and resource centre.
- WWF-India, in partnership with Capgemini, has launched One Planet Academy, the first environment education portal for students and teachers in India.
- The website focuses on various environmental themes and is a digital hub for schools, teachers and students that brings under its ambit a digital training and resource centre, a WWF-India statement said.
- The One Planet Academy (OPA) website encourages schools to adopt green practices, offers project and activity ideas for the teachers, along with online training course and games, comics, interactive maps for the students, the statement said.