Current Affairs Update - 27th September 2017
Do You Know?
ICC Introduces New Rules; Players Will be Sent Off for Misconduct will be effective in all series starting 28 September or later.
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has introduced a number of changes to its playing conditions which will be effective in all series starting 28 September or later.
- The significant changes include a restriction on the dimensions of the bat, the introduction of player send-offs for misconduct and changes to the Decision Review System, all of which will commence from the two upcoming Test series – when South Africa hosts Bangladesh and the one between Pakistan and Sri Lanka in the United Arab Emirates.
New Appointments: National
Shashi Shanker appointed ONGC Chairman till 2021
- Shashi Shanker was today appointed as the chairman and managing director (CMD) of India's biggest oil and gas producer ONGCBSE 4.32 %.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved his appointment to the post of CMD, Oil and Natural Gas CorporationBSE 4.32 % (ONGC), till the date of his superannuation, an order issued by Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) said.
National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO) elects Niranjan Hiranandani as new president
- Niranjan Hiranandani has been elected as the new president of realtors' body NAREDCO. DLF's CEO Rajeev Talwar will continue as the chairman of NAREDCO, while Parveen Jain, who was president before Niranjan Hiranandani, will become vice-chairman.
- Niranjan Hiranandani is the founder-chairman of Mumbai- based Hiranandani Group and CMD, Hiranandani Communities.
- NAREDCO said in a statement that Niranjan Hiranandani has been elected as national president at the governing council meeting of the association held recently.
ADB lowers India growth forecast to 7% in financial year 2017-18. In financial year 2018-19, the forecast is adjusted down to 7.4%, from 7.6%
- Asian Development Bank has downgraded India’s growth projection to 7% for the current fiscal while lowering its forecast for the next financial year as well.
- “India’s GDP growth is downgraded to 7% in financial year 2017-18, a 0.4 percentage point drop from the April forecast. In financial year 2018-19, the forecast is adjusted down to 7.4%, from 7.6%,” ADB said in its Asian Development Outlook 2017 update.
- However, the multilateral lender said India continues its strong showing although demonetisation and implementation of the new goods and services tax regime have dented consumer spending and business investment.
Standard Chartered and Citibank have picked up stake in global financial messaging service Swift's local arm, becoming the first foreign lenders to invest in the platform.
- Swift India was formed in 2012 as a joint venture between the global cooperative Swift Scril and nine leading domestic banks.
- This is its second round of capital raising, an official statement said. Details on the stake picked up by the two lenders or the valuations were not shared.
- Other lender shareholders in the company include Axis Bank, Bank of Baroda, Bank of India, Canara Bank, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Punjab National Bank, State Bank of India and Union Bank of India.
- Both Standard Chartered Bank, as well as Citi, linked the investment to their respective efforts to promote digitisation.
Science & Technologies
Isro’s Mars Orbiter Mission completes 3 years in orbit and the satellite is in good health and continues to work as expected.
- India’s rendezvous with the red planet continues as its celebrated Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) completes three years in orbit.
- “As the country’s low-cost Mars Orbiter Mission completes three years in its Martian orbit, the satellite is in good health and continues to work as expected,” the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said.
- The scientific analysis of the data received from the Mars Orbiter spacecraft is in progress, ISRO public relations director Deviprasad Karnik told PTI.
Defence & Railway
Railway line connecting India, Nepal to become functional from next year
- After remaining non-functional for the last three years the Janakpur-Jayanagar Railway line connecting Nepal and India is expected to become functional by 2018.
- It is the only railway line that once used to link India with Nepal but after 2014 its service got discontinued. However, now both the neighboring countries are making an attempt to revive this railway service.
Application / Portal
Home Minister to Launch Portal 'PENCIL (Platform for Effective Enforcement for No Child Labour)' on Child Labour Elimination, an electronic platform for no child labour developed by the Labour Ministry.
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh will launch a web portal called 'PENCIL' for effective implementation of National Child Labour Project (NCLP).
- PENCIL (Platform for Effective Enforcement for No Child Labour) -- an electronic platform for no child labour developed by the Labour Ministry is going to be launched by Home Minister Rajnath Singh September 26, 2017 in the National Conference on Child Labour, a Labour Ministry statement said.
Infosys Foundation Signs Rs. 5 Crore MoU With Indian Institute Of Science (IISc)Bangalore, to enhance infrastructure and broaden research activities at the Centre for Infectious Diseases Research (CIDR) at the Institute.
- Infosys Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Infosys, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore, to enhance infrastructure and broaden research activities at the Centre for Infectious Diseases Research (CIDR) at the Institute. According to a statement from Infosys foundation, the grant of Rs. 5 crore will be used towards research, training and creating awareness about infectious diseases, benefiting 25 faculty members and 250 students at the Bengaluru-based Science Institute.
Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) signs contract for supply of medium range surface to air missiles to Indian Army
- Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) has signed contract with Research Centre Imarat (RCI) for supply of Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missiles (MRSAM) to Indian Army.
- The strategic contract was signed at RCI in Hyderabad on Monday by V. Udaya Bhaskar, CMD of BDL, and BHVS Narayana Murthy, Director, RCI and Programme Director, MRSAM (Army), in the presence of G Satheesh Reddy, Director General (Missiles and Strategic Systems) and Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri, Government of India.
Awards & Honours
Noted Odia poet and short story writer Banaj Devi will be honoured with the 38th edition of the prestigious Sarala award for her short story compilation Kathapua.
- The annual Sarala Puraskar, recognised as one of the foremost literary awards of the State, comprises a cash award of ?5 lakh along with a citation.
- Given away every year by the Indian Metals Public Charitable Trust (IMPaCT), Sarala Puraskar would be presented to her at a special function to be held on October 26 here, a release from IMPaCT said.
- Besides Banaj Devi, two more prominent personalities of Odisha will be honoured for their valuable contribution in the field of music and art.
Eighteen-year-old national high jump record holder Tejaswin Shankar has got a four-year athletics scholarship in US' Kansas State University.
- Tejaswin has received a full scholarship and will be pursuing a degree in business administration while also working on his high jump career. He will also be able to participate in the National Collegiate Athletic Association meets.
OLX India Founder Amarjit Singh Batra has quit the company and is joining South Africa-based media conglomerate, Naspers.
- Founder and CEO of classifieds platform OLX India, Amarjit Singh Batra, has quit the company and is joining South Africa-based media conglomerate, Naspers. Batra joined OLX in 2008 and started out as OLX India's first employee. Commenting on his decision, he said that he has achieved his mission and that it is time to "take up a new challenge."
Technology billionaires lost 15.5 billion dollar (Rs.1 lakh crore) on Monday as a sell-off of sector's most valuable companies intensified. Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg saw biggest drop in net worth of 3.2 billion dollar
- The 59 technology billionaires on the Bloomberg Billionaires Index control 942 billion, more than any industry in the ranking.