Governor, Chief Minister and State Council Ministers
Essential key points regarding State Executive
- The Maximum permissible period between two sessions of State Legislative Assembly is six months.
- The members of the Legislative Assembly appointed by through: 1.Direct Election, 2. Indirect Election and 3. Nomination.
- The Chief Minister of the state determines the strength of the council of Ministers.
- The no of seats in Vidhan Sabha is- to be not more than 500 and not less than 60 but an exception is recognised in the case of one state which has only 32 seats.
- The membership of a State Legislative Council 1.Shall not be less than 40 and 2. Shall not be more than 1/3rd of the membership of the Legislative Assembly.
- Only one women governor in West Bengal- Padasha Naidu.
- State Emergency in West Bengal 4 times-1962, 1964, 1970, and 1971.
- The President can directly disallow a State Legislation in case of Money Bill.
- A very large number of candidates contested the election- If in an election to a State Legislative Assembly Candidate who is declared elected loses his deposit.
GOVERNOR OF THE STATE: Important Points
|The Governor is appointed by the President,|
|He should be a citizen of India.|
|He must be complete the age of 35 years.|
|He must not be a member of either House of Parliament.|
|The Salary and allowances of the Governor are charged to Consolidated Fund of the State.|
|The Governor can refuse to give his assent to a bill.|
|The Governor can Reserve the bill for the assent of the President.|
|The Governor may refuse to invite a leader of the party in Vidhan Sabha who does not command the majority in the House.|
|No court has power to compel the Governor to exercise or not to exercise any power or to perform or not to perform any duty.|
|When a State Governor dies or resigns Chief Justice of the High Court normally exercise his functions until a new Governor is appointed.|
|The Governor Shall be decided in consultation with the Election Commission to disqualification of a member of State Legislature.|
|He has the power of issuing ordinances when the Legislature is not in session.|
|Without Governor prior permission No Money bill can be introduced in the State Legislature.|
|He can recommend to the President to impose President’s rule in the State.|
|Governor can play Dual role i.e., Constitutional ruler and an agent of the Centre.|
|Contingency Fund operated b the State Governor.|
|The Governor does appointed: 1. Chief Minister, 2. Chairmen of State Public Commission, 3. Advocate General of the State.|
|Governor related Article from 152 – 167. The Governor turner 5 yrs as per Article (156).|
Chief Minister of the State - Complete Details
|Article 164- Chief Minister shall be appointed by the Governor.|
|The Governor appointed the leader of the largest party as the Chief Minister and ask him to seek a vote of confidence in the house.|
|Chief Minister recommended other ministers who are appointed by the Governor.|
|He directs guides and coordinates the other minister’s activity.|
|He is the main channel to communicate between the Governor and State Ministers. Advises to Governor regarding all official appointment like State Election Commissioner, Advocate General, PSC Chairmen etc.|
|Chief Minister is the Leader of the House.|
|He is political head of the services.|
Chairmen of the State Planning Board.
He is the member of the Inter-State Council and National Development Council.
Important Article related to Chief Minister
- Article 163 –Council of Minister to advise Governor.
- Article 164 –Other Minister provisions.
- Article 166 – Conduct of business of the Government of the State.
- Article 167 – it is the duties to give information to Governor by the Chief Minister.