CURRENT AFFAIRS UPDATES: 28 & 29 AUGUST
Those who are preparing for the upcoming bank exams should follow the daily current affairs updates along with preparing for the other sections. As current affairs carries a huge number of marks and is easy to score it should not be avoided.
Do You Know?
EESL to procure 50 lakh Smart Meters for Haryana, Uttar Pradesh
New Appointments: National
Dipak Misra sworn in as new Chief Justice of India
- Justice Dipak Misra was sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India on Monday.
- He was administered the oath of office by President Ram Nath Kovind during a brief ceremony in the Darbar Hall of Rashtrapati Bhawan.
New Appointments: International
Uber chooses Expedia CEO Dara Khosrowshahi to be new chief
- Expedia chief Dara Khosrowshahi has been chosen by Uber's board to be the company's new CEO.
Government notifies changes in Banking Regulation Act
- The government has notified the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Act under which it can authorise the RBI to issue directions to banks to initiate insolvency resolution process to recover bad loans.
- The banking sector is saddled with non-performing assets (NPAs) of over Rs 8 lakh crore, of which Rs 6 lakh crore is with public sector banks (PSBs).
Vijaya Bank set to develop 100 digital villages
- Vijaya Bank is going to develop as many as 100 digital villages in various States of the country as part of its initiative to promote digital banking among the rural population.
Doklam standoff ends; India, China agree to disengage
- India and China have agreed to a speedy disengagement on the Doklam plateau in Bhutan, ending a military standoff lasting more than two months.
- It comes days before Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s scheduled to visit to China for the Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa (BRICS) summit in Xiamen city.
Supertech gets green nod for Rs1,130 crore Sports Village project in Greater Noida
- Realty firm Supertech has received green nod for developing a sports-centric housing project in Greater Noida that would entail an investment of Rs1,130 crore. The proposed residential project ‘Sports Village’ will be launched during Diwali this year and will be completed in four years.
Gurgaon to get 50 new green-fuel stations in three years to cut pollution
- The Gurugram district administration has decided to sanction 50 new green-fuel stations in Millennium City here in the next three years to control rising air pollution.
Sushma Swaraj to visit Colombo for the ninth session of India Sri Lanka Joint Commission
- Sushma Swaraj, India’s External Affairs Minister, will be in Sri Lanka on Friday and Saturday. This will be her third visit to the country since President Maithripala Sirisena took office in January 2015. She will take part in the ninth session of the India-Sri Lanka Joint Commission, a mechanism set up in 1992 to address issues concerning bilateral cooperation. The Commission met last in New Delhi in January 2013.
Science & Technologies
A new score in waste management
- Scientists from CSIR’s National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science and Technology (CSIR-NIIST), Thiruvananthapuram have been able to turn waste into wealth. They have produced ethanol from discarded cotton-stalks by using a combination of chemical and biological techniques. India has about 9.4 million hectares under cotton cultivation and every hectare generates 2 million tonnes of cotton stalk wastes. The results were published in Bioresource Technology.
Defence & Railway
Jaitley hands over long-range surface-to-air missile (LRSAM) to Navy
- Defence Minister Arun Jaitley on Sunday handed over the Long-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LRSAM) jointly developed by India and Israel, to the Indian Navy, at Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL) here.
- LRSAM is an advanced combat suit for missile defence against air targets and missiles, and has full capabilities of air and surface surveillance, threat alert and fire control.
Boost to Army's air power; to get medium range missile by 2020
- After years of wait, the Indian Army will finally get an advanced medium-range surface to air missile (MRSAM) system by 2020 which will be able to shoot down ballistic missiles, fighter jets and attack helicopters from a range of around 70 km.
- The MRSAM system will be capable of shooting down enemy ballistic missiles, aircraft, helicopters, drones, surveillance aircraft and AWACS (Airborne Warning and Control Systems) aircraft, the official said on condition of anonymity as he is not authorised to speak to the media.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
Swaraj inaugurates country's first 'Videsh Bhavan' in Mumbai
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Sunday inaugurated India's first 'Videsh Bhavan' in Mumbai. The Bhavan integrates all Ministry of External Affairs offices in Maharashtra under one roof, and will reportedly help in effective management. The Ministry is now more "people-oriented" and prioritises rescuing Indians stranded abroad, which was not the case earlier, Swaraj said at the event.
Two-day Indian Ocean Conference in Colombo from Aug 31
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will travel to Colombo to participate in the two-day Indian Ocean Conference to be held from August 31 in which Sri Lankan prime minister and president are among key speakers.
Barcelona win as Leo Messi hits brace to pass 350 La Liga goals; Atletico fly
- Lionel Messi shrugged off the frustration of missing a penalty to reach another remarkable career landmark as Barcelona eased to a 2-0 victory at Alaves.
- Messi, who hit the woodwork three times in the 2-0 win over Real Betis on the opening day of the season, saw his first-half spot-kick superbly saved by Fernando Pacheco after Gerard Pique had been pulled down in the penalty area.
India win U-15 SAFF football Championship
- The India football team came from behind to defeat Nepal 2-1 to win the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Under-15 Championship at the ANFA Complex on Sunday.
Lewis Hamilton holds off Sebastian Vettel to win in Belgium
- Lewis Hamilton cut his championship deficit to Sebastian Vettel to just seven points with a closely fought victory in the Belgian Grand Prix.
- Hamilton rarely led Vettel by more than two seconds in a tense battle until a late safety car added further jeopardy.
World Badminton Championship: PV Sindhu claims silver after gruelling, epic final
- Ace Indian shuttler PV Sindhu had to settle for silver after losing 19-21, 22-20, 20-22 to Nozomi Okuhara of Japan in a hard-fought final of the World Badminton Championships at Glasgow in Scotland on Sunday.
Paul Pogba wins UEFA Europa League Player of the Season award
- Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba has been named the Europa League Player of the Season for 2016-17.
- Pogba was part of the United side that won the Europa League for the first time in the club's history with a 2-0 win over Ajax in May.
Legendary Ahmed Khan passes away after prolonged illness
- Ahmed Khan, a member of India’s gold winning football team at the first Asian Games in 1951, passed away at the age of 91 after prolonged illness.