Current Affairs Updates: 25 August
Follow the Current Affairs Updates regularly for the upcoming government exams like LIC, IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk and other banks. Also, solve the quizzes daily to improve your results. Don't forget to follow the weekly and monthly pdf on current affairs for revising.
Do You Know?
MS Dhoni equals world record with 99 ODI stumpings against Sri Lanka
- MS Dhoni effected his 99th ODI stumping against Sri Lanka on Thursday to equal the world record for most stumpings in 50-over cricket. Dhoni, playing his 298th ODI, joined former Sri Lankan captain Kumar Sangakkara, who had 99 stumpings to his credit in 404 ODIs. With the dismissal, Dhoni takes his stumpings tally in international cricket to 160.
Airbnb announces its first airline partnership in India with Jet Airways
- Community-driven hospitality company Airbnb announced its first airline partnership in India with Jet AirwaysBSE -0.12 %. Airbnb said the announcement adds momentum to the growth of Airbnb's footprint in the Indian market by focusing on establishing a deeper connect with the new age Indian travellers who seek unique travel experiences.
New Appointments: National
Nandan Nilekani appointed Chairman of Infosys board
- Infosys Co-founder Nandan Nilekani was appointed the non-executive Chairman of Infosys board on Thursday. This comes after the board's Chairman R Seshasayee and Co-Chairman Ravi Venkatesan submitted their resignations. Vishal Sikka, who recently stepped down as Infosys CEO, also submitted his resignation to the board.
Rajiv Bansal takes charge as Air India CMD
- Senior IAS officer Rajiv Bansal today took charge as the interim Chairman and Managing Director of Air India.
- Bansal replaces Ashwani Lohani, who has assumed office as Railway Board Chairman.
Cabinet nod to framework for consolidation of public sector banks, says Arun Jaitley
- In a development that marks a beginning for the government’s plans to consolidate 21 state-owned banks in the country, the Finance Minister today said that the Union Cabinet has approved the framework for the move that the government hopes will help fast-track the process.
HDFC Ergo buys L&T General Insurance for Rs 551 crore
- HDFC Ergo general insurance company, promoted by Housing Development Finance Corporation, today agreed to buy L&T General Insurance for Rs 551 crore, first buyout in the general insurance industry.
- The two companies signed off the deal on Friday late evening, said two people in the know of the development.
Bank Of India slashes interest to 3.5% for deposits up to Rs 50 lakh
- Public lender Bank of India has reduced interest rate on savings bank accounts by 50 basis points to 3.5 per cent on deposits of up to Rs 50 lakh.
- However, the bank will continue to pay 4 per cent interest on deposits of above Rs 50 lakh.
Sushma Swaraj to inaugurate first Videsh Bhavan in Mumbai
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will inaugurate the country's first Videsh Bhavan, assimilating all Regional Passport Offices under one roof, at the Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC) here on Sunday, an official said on Wednesday.
Ola, Uber tie up with airports to allow bookings at kiosks
- Cab-hailing startups Ola and Uber have partnered with Airports Authority of India to allow air passengers to book cabs at Chennai, Kolkata, Pune, Lucknow, and Bhubaneswar airports. This will allow passengers to book cabs through kiosks located at the airports. Reportedly, Ola's kiosks will be manned by its representatives to book cabs for commuters without Ola app or smartphones.
Agri price forecasting model to get a Microsoft update
- If all goes according to plan, software giant Microsoft will come to the aid of farmers in Karnataka who constantly struggle with an unpredictable market.
- The Agriculture Department has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Microsoft India to develop an unique ‘farm price forecasting model’ using the latest IT tools in a bid to help farmers, administrators and other stakeholders understand the market behaviour in advance.
Right to Privacy is a fundamental right, it is intrinsic to right to life: Supreme Court
- The Supreme Court (SC) on Thursday ruled that privacy is a fundamental right because it is intrinsic to the right to life.
- "Right to Privacy is an integral part of Right to Life and Personal Liberty guaranteed in Article 21 of the Constitution," the SC's nine-judge bench+ ruled unanimously.
Cabinet Approves Indo-Nepal MoU On Prevention of Illicit Trafficking in Narcotic Drugs
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday (23 August) has given its approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Nepal on Drug Demand Reduction and Prevention of Illicit Trafficking in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances and precursor chemicals and related matters.
- The MoU indicates the mechanism of information exchange and the competent authorities in the two countries who are responsible for the implementation of the MoU and exchange of any information.
Creamy layer’ income bar for OBCs raised, new panel for sub-categories
- The government is going to set up a commission to implement sub-categorisation within the central government reservation bracket for Other Backward Classes.
- The creamy layer, the ceiling that bars people in the OBC category from getting reservation in jobs, has been raised from Rs 6 lakh a year to Rs 8 lakh.
Science & Technologies
Microsoft launches 'Project Brainwave' for real-time AI
- Software giant Microsoft has announced its Project Brainwave deep learning acceleration platform for real-time artificial intelligence (AI).
- With the help of ultra-low latency, the system processes requests as fast as it receives them.
Odisha launches grid connected roof top solar projects
- With an aim to promote renewable energy in Odisha, chief minister Naveen Patnaik on Wednesday launched grid connected rooftop solar projects.
- Under the programme, the consumers can instill small solar plants on their rooftops and consume the generated solar power during day time.
Books & Authors
Raghuram Rajan pens book 'I Do What I Do' on his RBI stint
- Former RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan has penned a book titled 'I Do What I Do: On Reform, Rhetoric & Resolve'. The book conveys what it was like to be at the helm of RBI in those turbulent but exciting times, said publisher HarperCollins India. The book will launch on September 4, exactly a year after Rajan quit as RBI governor.
Schemes / Programme
Cabinet approves New Central Sector Scheme - "Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana"
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the renaming of the new Central Sector Scheme - SAMPADA (Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters) as "Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY) " for the period of 2016-20 coterminous with the 14th Finance Commission cycle.
Rajnath Singh to attend SCO meet on disaster in Kyrgyz Republic
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh will attend a two-day meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) on disaster prevention and relief at Choplon Ata in Kyrgyz Republic beginning on Thursday.
Campaign for clean and healthy society launched
- Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Tanwar Chand Gehlot inaugurated a nine-day campaign on 'Clean Society-Healthy Society' in a public event organized by the Brahma Kumaris at Radison Blu Hotel, Paschim Vihar,
- This campaign which will be carried out by the Brahma Kumaris organization in different areas of Delhi, Noida, Gurugram and Faridabad will sensitize the public on inner and outer cleanliness, holistic health and hygiene, de-addiction, social empowerment, moral values and character building.
Indo-Nepal agreements cover key areas of housing, health
- India and Nepal today entered into eight pacts, including reconstruction of 50,000 houses and health sector.
- The pacts were signed after a comprehensive talk held between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Nepalese counterpart Sher Bahadur Deuba on strategic bilateral and regional issues.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
Digital Haryana Summit to be held in Gurugram
- The Haryana government will organise Digital Haryana Summit in Gurugram on September 15 to discuss issues like digital governance, smart living in cities and villages, citizen partnership, and entrepreneurship among others. The summit aims to bring together different stakeholders and develop a singular agenda for the digital transformation of Haryana, in line with the Digital India initiative.
Sports: Awards & Honours
20-yr-old Sanjivani Jadhav wins 10,000m silver at World University Games
- Sanjivani Jadhav, a 20-year-old marathon runner from Nashik, won the silver medal in the women's 10,000-metre at the 29th World University Games in Taipei. Jadhav, who won a bronze medal in the 5,000-metre race at the Asian Athletics Championships in Bhubaneswar in July, is also a medallist at the World School Olympiad.