Current Affairs Updates: 24 August
Current Affairs is a vital part of all government exams. Please follow the website of achieversrule to read the daily current affairs updates. Don't forget to revise these points at the end of each month and also practice daily quizzes to improve your performance in all exams.
Do You Know?
The World's Highest-Paid Actors 2017: Mark Wahlberg Leads With $68 Million
- Markie Mark is officially Richie Rich: The former rapper-turned-actor is Hollywood's highest-paid leading man, earning $68 million pretax in our 12 month scoring period.
Ajay Vipin Nanavati is new Syndicate Bank chairman
- Ajay Vipin Nanavati was on Monday appointed as the chairman of Syndicate Bank.
- The appointments committee of the cabinet has approved his appointment as non-official director/non-executive chairman of Syndicate Bank for three years, according to an order issued by the department of personnel and training.
HDFC Bank launches all-in-one DigiPoS machines
- HDFC Bank, the largest merchant payment acquirer with over 40 per cent market share, today launched an all-in-one offering, DigiPoS Machine, that offers a complete suite of digital payment solutions.
- "With DigiPoS, a merchant can use as many as 12 various digital payment options like UPI, Bharat QR, SMS Pay, PayZapp, Tap & Pay, EMIs in addition to pay through debit/ credit card swiping," Parag Rao, head of card payments & merchant acquiring services at the second largest private sector lender said.
Reserve Bank of India to introduce Rs 200 notes beginning September
- Reserve Bank of India appears to be giving highest emphasis on how to avoid the possibility of an illegal trade of currency notes as it prepares to introduce Rs 200 denominated bank notes for the first time in history.
- RBI is likely to put the proposed Rs 200 bank notes in circulation by the end of August or in the first week of September, according to people in the know. Most importantly, it is taking all steps to stop black marketing and is building a stack of about 50 crore note.
Andhra Pradesh first to implement Bharat QR digital payments to make Vizag less-cash city
- Andhra Pradesh’s Eastern Power Distribution Company Ltd (EPDCL) and the Southern Power Distribution Corporation of AP Ltd (SPDCL) have become the first state-owned distribution companies in India to accept payments through Bharat QR, the world’s first interoperable quick response code acceptance solution launched by the Reserve Bank of India.
- As part of the ‘Vizag less–cash city’ initiative underway between Visa and the Andhra Pradesh government, the state has witnessed a slew of initiatives aimed at increasing the rate of digital payment adoption across the masses
National Sports Museum to be established in New Delhi
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports is going to establish National Sports Museum, first of its kind, at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi. The decision was taken three months back and after a series of meetings and his personal visits to several locations in the capital, the current venue for museum was finalized by the Sports Minister Shri Vijay Goel himself.
UIDAI launches door step Aadhar enrolment in Delhi
- UIDAI has joined hands with CSC India for launching door step enrolment facility in the national capital for the elderly, patients and others who cannot travel the Aadhar centres.
NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant to launch 'Mentor India Campaign' tomorrow
- NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant will tomorrow launch the Mentor India Campaign, a strategic nation building initiative to engage leaders who can nurture and guide students at more than 900 Atal Tinkering Labs.
- The Mentor India Campaign is aimed at maximising the impact of Atal Tinkering Labs.
Trai inks cooperation pact with Malaysia telecom regulator
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India has inked an agreement with the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) to deepen bilateral cooperation in telecom and broadcasting regulation.
- The two telecom regulators on Tuesday signed a letter of intent (LoI), under which they will exchange information and regulatory best practices.
Defence & Railway
Air India CMD Ashwani Lohani named Railway Board Chairman
- Ashwani Lohani, CMD of Air India, has been named the Chairman of the Railway Board following the resignation of A.K. Mital.
- The move comes after former Railway Board Chairman A.K. Mital tendered his resignation on Tuesday evening. Sources said he resigned owing moral responsibility of the Puri-Haridwar Utkal Express derailment in Uttar Pradesh on Saturday evening due to several lapses in the track maintenance work.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
Shri Piyush Goyal addresses the 8th World Renewable Energy Technology Congress
- Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, Renewable Energy and Mines, Shri Piyush Goyal, addressed a distinguished gathering of delegates attending the 3-day 8th World Renewable Energy Technology Congress here today. The Minister also gave away Energy and Environment Foundation Global Excellence awards 2017 during the inaugural session of the conference.
- The annual conference is visualized and planned in the backdrop of India's vision on achieving "Energy Independence and Power for all by 2022".
Sports: Awards & Honours
National Sports Awards: Centre unveils list, cricket sensation Harmanpreet Kaur to receive Arjuna Award
- Indian women’s cricket team star Harmanpreet Kaur will be honoured with the Arjuna Award, this year.