Current Affairs Updates: 22 August
Follow todays Daily News Updates as GK and Current Affairs is a very important part of all competitive exams. Also, Follow the Weekly Current Affairs Pdf and Monthly Current Affairs Pdf to revise before exams. Dont forget to practice the Quizzes regularly.
Do You Know?
UK scientists create world’s smallest surgical robot called Versius using low-cost technology
- Scientists in the UK have developed the world's smallest surgical robot with low-cost technology used in mobile phones and space industries. The robot, called Versius, mimics the human arm and can be used to carry out a wide range of procedures in which a series of small incisions are made to circumvent the need for traditional open surgery.
China to relaunch one of the world's fastest bullet trains
- China is relaunching one of the world’s fastest bullet trains, capable of running at 350 kilometers (217 miles) per hour. The trains will service the route from Beijing to Shanghai starting next month, making the 1,250-kilometer (777-mile) journey in just 4 hours, 30 minutes. Other routes are being added.
New Appointments: National
Uber India appoints Vishpala Reddy as Chief People’s Officer
- Uber India has appointed former American Express executive Vishpala Reddy as the Chief People’s Officer (CPO) for its India and South Asia operations. The company said Reddy will be responsible for strengthening leadership, and overseeing aspects of gender diversity and inclusion. Last month, Uber appointed Sanjay Gupta, former CMO of Urban Ladder, as Head of Marketing in India.
Nadal back as world no. 1 for first time after 3 years
- Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal returned to the world number one spot in ATP Rankings on Monday for the first time since July 2014. The 31-year-old replaced Andy Murray, who had held the top spot for 41 weeks since November 7, 2016. Nadal, who first became world number 1 in August 2008, has already spent 141 weeks at the top.
O Panneerselvam takes oath as Tamil Nadu Deputy CM
- O Panneerselvam on Monday took oath as the Deputy Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, hours after the merger of rival AIADMK factions was announced. He was also allotted the Finance Ministry, a portfolio which was held by D Jeyakumar until now. Panneerselvam's close aide K Pandiarajan was sworn-in as Minister for Tamil Official Language and Tamil Culture.
Assam govt to launch Scheme for Compassionate Family Pension in lieu of Compassionate Appointment
- In Assam, state government launching a new Scheme called, Scheme for Compassionate Family Pension (CFP) in lieu of Compassionate Appointment.
- According to officials, where the employee dies before superannuation, the family pension equal to 100 percent of the last pay drawn by the deceased employee be paid for a period up to the date of 'deemed superannuation' of the deceased employee. The last pay drawn for this purpose is the last basic pay plus grade pay.
Telangana CM chosen for agriculture leadership award
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao has been selected for the prestigious Agriculture Leadership Award-2017, according to a statement from the Chief Minister's Office.
- A Committee headed by agriculture scientist MS Swaminathan has recommended the CM’s name. The award will be presented on September 5 at Taj Palace Hotel in New Delhi.
Nepalese PM Deuba to begin four-day visit to India on Wednesday
- In his first foreign visit after assuming office, Nepalese Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba will arrive here on Wednesday on a four-day trip during which he will hold wide-ranging talks with his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi on issues of mutual interest.
Defence & Railway
US, S Korea to begin 10-day military drill next week: Pentagon
- The US and South Korea would begin a 10-day-long annual military exercise next week, the Pentagon said today amid the continued provocative behaviour from North Korea.
- The Ulchi Freedom Guardian drill is a computer simulated defencive exercise designed to enhance readiness, protect the region and maintain stability on the Korean peninsula, the Pentagon said.
Awards & Honours
12-year-old Indian-origin boy, Rahul, crowned UK’s Child Genius
- A 12-year-old Indian-origin boy from north London has won the Child Genius show broadcast by UK’s Channel 4, the media reported on Sunday.
- Rahul, who lives in Barnet, beat his nine-year-old opponent, Ronan, 10-4 in the programme’s finale on Saturday night.
Sports: Awards & Honours
Mo Farah wins last race on British soil at Diamond League
- British long-distance runner Mo Farah won his final race on British soil with his 3,000m race at the Diamond League. Farah, who has won three World Championships in 5,000m races, later ripped off his British vest and passed it to his teammate, Andy Butchart. Farah will next race over 5,000m in Zurich on Thursday and at September's Great North Run.
Shapath Bharadwaj wins bronze at Junior Shotgun World Cup
- Teenager Shapath Bharadwaj on Sunday won a bronze medal in the double trap event while Lakshay Sheoran and Manisha Keer combined to win a bronze in the mixed team trap competition at the ISSF Junior Shotgun World Cup in Porpetto, Italy.
- The 15-year old Bharadwaj, from Meerut, shot a 48 in the final to finish behind gold-medal winning Briton James Dedman and Finland's Miki Ylonen.