Current Affairs Updates: 19th August
Follow Achieversrule regularly for Current Affairs Updates and practice the Quizzes of Current Affairs. Start preparing for IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk, RRB PO, RRB Clerk, Insurance, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and Railway Exams with Achieversrule.
Do You Know?
Government bans export of gold items above 22-carat purity
- The government has banned exports of gold jewellery, medallions and other articles above 22- carat purity in a bid to check round tripping of the precious metal.
- In a notification, the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) has said certain provisions of the foreign trade policy (2015-20) are "amended to allow export of gold jewellery (plain or studded) and articles containing gold of 8 carats and above up to a maximum limit of 22 carats only from domestic tariff area and export.
Sanjiv Gupta appointed president and MD of General Motors India
- General Motors India on Thursday announced the appointment of Sanjiv Gupta as the new President and Managing Director of the company.
- The current President and Managing Director Kaher Kazem will hand over the reins of the company to Gupta, who is Chief Financial Officer, effective September 1.
Women referees to feature for 1st time in men's FIFA tournament
- FIFA has appointed seven women officials as support referees for the Under-17 World Cup in India, marking the first-ever time that female referees will officiate in a men's tournament organised by FIFA. The Under-17 World Cup, India's first FIFA event, will take place in Goa, Guwahati, Kochi, Kolkata, Navi Mumbai and New Delhi, between October 6 and 28.
RBI to issue new 50 banknotes, old notes to remain valid
- The RBI will shortly issue 50 banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series bearing the signature of Governor Urjit Patel. The base colour of the note will be fluorescent blue, and all 50 banknotes issued by RBI earlier will continue to be legal tender. Further, the new denomination will have a motif of 'Hampi with Chariot', depicting India's cultural heritage.
Karur Vysya Bank inaugurates AADHAAR enrolment centre
- The Unique Identification Authority of India had advised commercial banks to provide Aadhaar enrolment and updation facility at various branches in its July 13 notification.
- Karur Vysya Bank identified the branches and and ensured early implementation of the service. KVB is the first private sector bank to provide this service in the country, the bank said in a release.
HDFC Bank, Yes Bank cut interest rate on savings
- Yes Bank has announced the sharpest cut on its savings deposits, bringing down the return on accounts with balances of up to Rs 1 lakh to 5% from 6% earlier. The bank has maintained the 6% return that it offered customers with deposits between Rs 1 lakh and Rs 1 crore, while reducing the rate on deposits above Rs 1 crore to 6.25% from 6.5% earlier.
- HDFC Bank said that those who have balances of up to Rs 50 lakh will receive 3.5% as against 4% earlier. Those with balances of over Rs 50 lakh will continue to receive 4%. The revised rates will be applicable to both resident and non-resident customers.
Indiabulls Ventures world's top stock with nearly 900% gain
- Securities brokerage firm Indiabulls Ventures stock has gained 890% this year, becoming world’s best-performing stock among companies that have a market value of at least 1 dollar billion. The company's profit for the June quarter more than doubled to about 50.3 crore (7.84 million dollar) from a year ago. Indiabulls Ventures now has market value of 8,980 crore.
5 Indian-origin persons in Fortune's annual '40 Under 40' list
- Five Indian-origin persons, including Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar, have featured in Fortune's annual list of 40 young and influential people in the field of business inspiring others with their work.
- The list has been topped by 39-year-old French President Emmanuel Macron
- The Indian-origin persons on the list are 26-year-old Divya Nag, Rishi Shah, Shradha Agarwal, 31-year-old Leila Janah and Varadkar.
NHAI launches mobile apps MyFASTag and FASTag for electronic toll collection
- The National Highways Authority of India on Thursday launched two mobile apps to ensure smooth functioning of the Electronic Toll Collection system.
- The two apps -- MyFASTag and FASTag Partner -- will facilitate the availability of FASTags for electronic toll collection making it possible to buy or recharge FASTags online, an NHAI statement said.
- NHAI Chairman Deepak Kumar said the cumbersome method of purchase and recharge of FASTags has been one of the major challenge ..
BSNL launches mobile wallet in partnership with MobiKwik
- State-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) on Thursday unveiled its mobile wallet in partnership with MobiKwik to enable one-tap bill payment for its over 100 million subscribers.
- Besides, the subscribers will also be able to use the digital wallet at over 1.5 million merchants across India.
- The digital wallet, developed by MobiKwik for BSNL, is in line with the telecom corporation’s intent to take the reach of digital payments to semi-urban and rural India, a BSNL statement said.
Schemes / Programme
“Harit Diwali, Swasth Diwali” campaign launched by Environment Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan
- Whereas Deepawali signifies the victory of good over evil ironically every year the evil pollution comes along celebration in Diwali. The excitement of firing cracker gifts air and sound pollution. To make this Diwali pure and healthy Environment Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan launched the “Harit Diwali, Swasth Diwali” campaign. As Children do any work with the highest effort, he urged the children to be a part of this mission.
India signs Global Environment Facility (GEF) Grant Agreement with the World Bank for USD 24.64 Million for Ecosystems Service Improvement Project
- A Grant Agreement from the Global Environment Facility (GEF) of the World Bank of USD 24.64 million for Ecosystem Service Improvement Project" was signed here today by Shri Sameer Kumar Khare, Joint Secretary (MI), Department of Economic Affairs (DEA), Ministry of Finance on behalf of the Government of India and Mr. Hisham Abdo Kahin, Acting Country Director for India on behalf of the World Bank.
Sports: Awards & Honours
Cook scores double ton in 1st day-night Test in England
- England's Alastair Cook has become the second batsman to score 200-plus runs in an innings of a day-night Test, scoring a double ton against Windies in the first day-night Test in England on Friday. Cook also became the highest run-scorer in Tests in England during his knock. Pakistan's Azhar Ali holds the record for highest score (302*) in day-night Tests.
Lakshya Sen wins Bulgaria Open International Series
- Young Indian shuttler Lakshya Sen on Thursday clinched the Bulgaria Open International Series title after notching up a hard-fought win over Croatia's Zvonimir Durkinjak in the men's singles final in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- The Uttarakhand shuttler, who celebrated his 16th birthday on Wednesday, defeated second seed Zvonimir 18-21, 21-12, 21-17 in a 57-minute match. He had beaten Sri Lanka's Dinuka Karunaratna 21-19, 21-14 in the semi-finals on Wednesday.