Current Affairs GK Update - 10th August 2017
Read Daily Current Affairs Update From Achievers Rule & Stay Updated 24*7 for your Upcoming Banking and SSC Exams. Also Try to Practice Daily Current Affairs Quiz in Regular Basis. It will Help you to Memorize Easily.
Do You Know?
Nation observes 75th anniversary of Quit India Movement
- The nation is celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Quit India Movement on Wednesday. A number of events are being planned at organisational and local levels to mark the occasion.
- This year’s theme is “Sankalp se Siddhi- the attainment through resolve. Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his recent Mann Ki Baat programme had called for launching the mega campaign Sankalp Se Siddhi from today. He suggested youth, student organisations and NGOs to organise group discussions to bring forth new ideas.
Bengaluru restaurant accepts Bitcoin for bill payments
- A Maharashtrian restaurant in Bengaluru, Suryawanshi, may be one of the first in the city to accept bill payments through Bitcoin, apart from cash, cards and other digital wallets. However, the restaurant has had only one customer who paid in Bitcoin, since it started this mode of payment nearly 11 months ago.
Kerala, Haryana top sanitation survey
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation on Tuesday released the findings of the survey of 1.4 lakh rural households, undertaken by the Quality Council of India (QCI) between May and June this year.
- The survey, covering 4626 villages across all States and Union territories, claimed that 62.45% of the households had access to a toilet.
- The survey also pointed that 91.29% of the people who had access to a toilet also used it, indicating a change in sanitation behaviour.
- Northeastern States of Sikkim, Manipur and Nagaland were top performers with 95% rural households covered by toilets. And so were the Himalayan States of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand with over 90% toilet coverage of the rural houses.
Indian cities to grow the fastest in Asia as Chinese rivals slow
- Delhi will have the fastest growth of any city in Asia, with the economy to be almost 50 percent larger in 2021 than it was at the end of last year.
- Indian cities are set to expand the most across the region, with growth speeding up from the past 5 years, according to a new study from OxfordBSE 4.88 % Economics, which ranked Asia's 30 largest cities.
- With financial and business services projected to be the fastest growing sector in India, Delhi’s dominance in this industry will lead to higher growth and higher incomes.
New Appointments: International
Indian-American "Dilip Chauhan" has been appointed as deputy comptroller for minority affairs of Nassau County.
- Indian-American Dilip Chauhan has been appointed to a senior position focusing on increasing outreach to the minority communities in Nassau County here.
- Chauhan was named Deputy Comptroller for Minority Affairs by Nassau County Comptroller George Maragos, according to a statement issued here.
- Chauhan had joined the Comptroller’s office in 2015 as Director for Community Affairs, South and East Asia and has served as senior advisor to the Comptroller since early 2017
ICICI Bank launches instant credit cards enabling its savings account customers to get a credit card instantly, in a completely digital and paperless manner.
- The country's largest private sector lender, ICICI BankBSE -1.36 %, launched instant credit cards enabling its savings account customers to get a credit card instantly, in a completely digital and paperless manner.
- The bank has opened up this offering to a few lakh of pre-qualified customers who can apply for the card online and generate card details and start shopping online instantly.
India ranks 43rd(Lowest Position) in Global Retirement Index as per French asset management company, Natixis Global .
- The French asset management company, Natixis Global in its Global Retirement Index Report has ranked India at the lowest position in a survey about the best place to retire after work among a list of 43 countries.
- The ranking was based on eighteen indicators which had four essential factors in mind viz the material means to live comfortably in retirement, access to quality financial services to help preserve savings value and maximize income, access to quality health services and a clean and safe environment.
- While India ranked the lowest, Iceland and Switzerland topped the list. The other countries in the top of the list include Norway, Sweden, Germany, Netherlands and Austria.
- India had the same rank the last year but the sub-indices rank in the bottom five. India also ranks last when compared to the BRICS economies.
- The USA, the world’s largest economy, was ranked 14th while China, the world’s second largest economy, came in at the 38th spot.
- 43 countries were featured on the list. These countries are part of the IMF’s advanced economies list or members of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) or the BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India and China).
Coconut regains `tree' status in Goa as Assembly passes bill
- The Goa Legislative Assembly today passed a bill which reclassifies coconut as a `tree', ensuring legal protection for it.
- Goa Forward Party, a partner in the Manohar Parrikar-led government, had promised to reclassify coconut.
- The previous Laxmikant Parsekar-led government had changed classification of coconut tree to a `palm'.
- However, the decision kicked up a controversy as green activists claimed that it would make it easy to cut down coconut trees indiscriminately in the coastal state as it would require no formal permission.
HUL(7th Position), Asian Paints(8th Position) among world's 10 most innovative companies
- Three Indian companies featured on Forbes 2017 list of 'World’s Most Innovative Companies' of which two were among the top 10. Hindustan Unilever, at the 7th position, was the highest-ranked Indian company. Ranked at the 8th spot, Asian Paints featured on the list for the fifth time in a row. Further, Airtel was ranked 78th on the list.
Defence & Railway
India, US gear up for joint military exercise "Yudhya Abhyas". It will be held Joint Base Lewis-McChord in the US from September 14 to 27
- After the massive Malabar naval war-games with Japan in the Bay of Bengal last month, which had China firmly in the crosshairs, India and the US are now once again getting set to conduct the "Yudh Abhyas" joint exercise between their armies in September.
- India and the US are steadily cranking up the scope, complexity and frequency of their bilateral military exercises as part of their "strategic partnership and convergence", even though New Delhi is as yet unwilling to join any formal tri-lateral or quadrilateral security axis to counter China's aggressiveness and expansionism in the Asia-Pacific region.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
India-ASEAN Youth Summit to be held from Aug 14-19 in Bhopal(Madhya Pradesh).
- Over 100 delegates from 10 ASEAN countries - Brunei, Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam - will participate in the India-ASEAN Youth Summit to be held in Bhopal from August 14-19.
- A statement from the India Foundation said the think tank in collaboration with the ministry of external affairs and the ministry of youth affairs and sports will organise the first- of-its-kind event.
Sports: Awards & Honours
Kynan Chenai wins bronze at 7th Asian Shotgun Championship
- India shooter Kynan Chenai won a bronze in men's trap event, his first international medal at the senior level, at the 7th Asian Shotgun Championship in Astana, Kazakhstan.
- Kynan first shot 116 out of 125 to qualify for the six men final round in third spot and then held on to the position till the end of the finals.
World Championships: Wayde van Niekerk stormed to victory in 43.98 seconds in 400 metres to retain his world title.
- Wayde van Niekerk stormed to victory in 43.98 seconds in 400 metres to retain his world title
- Van Niekerk is the Olympic champion and world record holder and was defending champion at World Championships
- Isaac Makwala, 3rd fastest this season, was scratched from the race after vomiting before he got on to the track
Real Madrid Defeat Manchester United 2-1 at 2017 UEFA Super Cup
- Casemiro and Isco scored as Real Madrid beat Manchester United 2-1 in the 2017 UEFA European Super Cup at the Philip II Arena in Skopje, Macedonia, on Tuesday.
- UEFA Champions League holders Real went two up before Romelu Lukaku scored a tap-in for last season's Europa League winners United to ensure a nervy finish.
Flipkart launches ‘Budding Star Programme’ for employees, to provide financial assistance up to Rs 3 Lakhs
- Flipkart has launched ‘Budding Star Programme’ for its staff. This programme is aimed towards helping the employees in achieving their dreams. It will offer financial assistance to employees in order to help them explore opportunities that are beyond the walls of the workplace and includes national level competitions and programmes, in a field of their interest. This initiative by Flipkart will aid employees to unleash their talent beyond work and participate in opportunities that will help them achieve success in their personal aspirations.