Current Affairs Update - 4th July 2017
AIIMS Is Going To Adopt 50 Senior Citizens From Old Age Homes
- The AIIMS in association with an NGO would adopt 50 elderly people, who are economically and physically challenged, to provide them with various health care facilities.
- These senior citizens would be adopted from various old age homes and the society as per their health requirements and access to health care facilities.
- As part of the programme, the Geriatric department of the AIIMS and the NGO 'Healthy Aging India' would provide free medicines at their doorstep and also facilitate treatment and transport to the medical institute in case of a medical emergency, said Dr Prashun Chatterjee of the AIIMS.
NMCE, ICEX to merge creating third biggest commodity exchange
- The Indian Commodity Exchange (ICEX) will hold a 62.8% stake in the merged entity, while National Multi Commodity Exchange (NMCE) shareholders will own the rest.
- India’s National Multi Commodity Exchange (NMCE) will merge with Indian Commodity Exchange (ICEX) creating the country’s third biggest commodity exchange, they said in a statement on Monday.
- The ICEX will hold a 62.8% stake in the merged entity, while NMCE shareholders will own the rest, the companies said.
FINO becomes payments bank with effect from 30th June 2017.
- FINO Payments Bank has commenced operations as a payments bank with effect from June 30, according to the Reserve Bank of India. FINO PayTech Ltd, Navi Mumbai, was one of the 11 applicants which were issued in-principle approval for setting up a payments bank. Besides FINO, the other applicants which have launched payment bank operations are Airtel M Commerce Services, Department of Posts and Vijay Shekhar Sharma (Paytm Payments Bank).
65 MoUs signed at Textiles India 2017 in the presence of Union Textiles Minister
- Union Textiles Minister Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani and Minister of State, Textiles, Shri Ajay Tamta witnessed the signing of 65 MoUs in the textiles sector today, on the 2nd day of the three-day mega textiles trade fair, Textiles India 2017, being held in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. MoUs were signed between various domestic and international organizations from industry and government; three of the MoUs signed are G2G MoUs.
- The MoUs signed relate to exchange of information and documentation, Research & Development, commercialization of handloom products and silk production, cooperation in Geo textiles, skill development, supply of cotton and trade promotion with overseas partners, etc.
Foundation Stone of country's biggest Global Skill Park to be laid in Bhopal
- Union Minister of State for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Rajeev Pratap Rudi and Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will lay the foundation stone of the country’s biggest Global Skill Park in Bhopal today.
- Former Captain of Indian Cricket Team K. Shrikant and former Indian Cricket player and Uttar Pradesh’s Minister of State for Skill Development Chetan Chouhna will be present on this occasion.37 acre land has been allotted in Narela Shankari area of Bhopal for the Global Skill Park. The park will be constructed at a cost of 645 crore rupees.
- Training will be imparted to 1000 students every year by trainers of international standard. The park will function on the spirit of ‘With Industry -For Industry’."
Rajkiran Rai G appointed as MD & CEO of Union Bank of India while Syndicate Bank Appoints Melwyn Rego as MD & CEO.
- Union Bank of India said Rajkiran Rai G has assumed charge as Managing Director & CEO.
- Prior to his elevation as MD & CEO of Union Bank of India, Rai was Executive Director of Oriental Bank of Commerce. He started his career in 1986 as an Agricultural Finance Officer in Central Bank of India.
- Rai has been appointed by the government to head Union Bank of India for a period of three years from the date of his taking over charge of the post or until further orders, whichever is earlier, according to a finance ministry notification.
- Syndicate Bank, in a statement, said Melwyn Rego has assumed charge as Managing Director & CEO.
- Prior to joining Syndicate Bank, Rego was MD & CEO of Bank of India. He started his career with IDBI Bank Ltd in 1984 and rose to the position of Deputy Managing Director.
2 Indian-Americans To Be Honoured With Great Immigrants Award
- Indian-Americans, Adobe chief Shantanu Narayen and former US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, are among 38 immigrants to be honoured this year for their role in helping advance the country's society, culture and economy.
- Shantanu Narayen and Vivek Murthy will be honoured with the prestigious 'Great Immigrants' annual award on US's Independence Day on July 4.
- 39-year-old Vivek Murthy was born in the UK and is a Harvard and Yale alumnus, he was appointed by former President Barack Obama in 2014, becoming the first-ever Indian-American to occupy the post and also the youngest ever surgeon general of the country.
- However, Mr Murthy was dismissed this year in April by the Trump administration.
Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan launches G-Ride
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan on Sunday said that the state government would accelerate the deployment of digital resources in development initiatives and also in addressing challenges faced by people.
- He was speaking after launching ‘G-Ride’, a digital ride sharing platform specially designed and deployed for the IT industry, by the Group of Technology Companies (GTech), the industry body of IT companies in the state. Easing traffic, tackling parking woes, reducing fuel consumption, lowering pollution levels and providing convenient modes of transport are of high priority, he said.
- “We need to explore citizen driven models, enabled by technology, to achieve these goals. G-Ride will be a model for the state”, Vijayan said.
- G-Ride automatically matches co-workers and neighbors and help them travel together to work. It is available in android and iOS versions, a release said.
P.M Narendra Modi Releases Photo Book on President Pranab Mukherjee
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday released a photo book titled “President Pranab Mukherjee – A Statesman”, at an event in Rashtrapati Bhawan and presented the first copy of the book to the President.
- Speaking on the occasion, the Prime Minister said that in his view, we can be more history conscious as a society, and preserve aspects of our history much better.
- He said that the Presidency is much more than protocol. Through the photographs in the book, we see the human side of our President and we feel proud, the Prime Minister said.
PM Modi to adopt wrestling village, his third in Varanasi
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Sunday announced that Prime Minister Narendra Modi will adopt Kakrahia, a village in Varanasi known for its wrestlers and wrestling arenas.
- Yogi said Modi had chosen to adopt Kakrahia under the Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana. In the past two years, Modi has adopted Jayapur and Nagepur in his Lok Sabha constituency of Varanasi.
Jehan Daruvala becomes 1st Indian to win FIA Formula 3 European Championship race
- Jehan Daruvala became the first Indian driver to win in the FIA Formula 3 European Championship on Sunday, claiming victory in Race 3 at the Nuremberg circuit.
- The 18-year-old Mumbai driver’s success at this junior level, assessed for the potential to go on to higher echelons, comes 18 years after Narain Karthikeyan, India’s first Formula 1 driver, won in the British F3 Championship.
- The 2.3-km Norisring is an extremely fast and flowing layout for a street circuit and mistakes are punished by the concrete walls instead of tyre barriers.
Germany beat Chile to win football's Confederations Cup
- Germany won the FIFA Confederations Cup for the first time after Lars Stindl scored the only goal in the 20th minute when Chile midfielder Marcelo Diaz gave the ball away on the edge of his own area.
Reliance Capital arm invests $1 million in Billionloans
- Reliance Corporate Advisory Services, an arm of Reliance Capital, on Monday said it has made an investment of about ₹7 crore ($1 million) in alternative digital lending startup Billionloans Financial Services Pvt Ltd.
- This is the second major startup investment, after Paytm, by Reliance Capital.
US lifts laptop ban on flights from Abu Dhabi
- Travellers banned from carrying their laptops with them on flights into the US have been handed a reprieve – as long as they are flying from Abu Dhabi.
- The US government lifted the ban affecting flights from the capital of the United Arab Emirates on Sunday after Etihad Airways put in place extra airport security measures that made it unnecessary.
- Etihad is the only airline to fly direct from the city to the US, with 45 flights scheduled each week.
China's Attempt To Launch One Of World's Most Powerful Rockets Fails
- China's attempt to launch the 'Long March-5 Y2' carrier rocket today failed after an anomaly was detected during its flight. This is the second launch of the heavyweight rocket, one of the most powerful in the world, and comes as a major setback to the Chinese space program.
- Last year, Long March-5 had successfully made its maiden flight in Wenchang.
- Long March-5 Y2 rocket, which weighs 879 tonnes, is capable of lifting 25 tonnes into a low earth orbit and a 14 tonne class of communications satellite. The heavy weight rocket was due to carry the heaviest Shijian-18 satellite and was to launch China's next mission to the Moon.
India successfully test fires quick reaction missile
- India successfully test fired its indigenously developed Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air (QRSAM) short-range missile from a test range off the Odisha coast on Monday.
- The missile has been developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL). The missile system has the potential to engage multiple targets within a range of approximately 30 km.
PM Modi to write book for youth, to be out later this year
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to write a book for the youth of the country wherein he will address issues like overcoming examination stress, keeping one's composure and what to do after the exams.
- The book, a first-of-its-kind initiative by a serving prime minister, will be out later this year in multiple languages.
Selena tops Instagram Rich List 2017 with ₹3.56 cr per post
- Singer Selena Gomez, with earnings of ₹3.56 crore per post on Instagram and over 122 million followers, has topped Instagram Rich List 2017 by Hopper, a scheduling site for the photo sharing app.
- Reality television star Kim Kardashian ranked second with ₹3.24 crore per post while football player Cristiano Ronaldo has claimed the third position on the list.