DAILY CURRENT AFFAIR: 18TH JANUARY
- The State Government of Karnataka announced that 'White Kerosene' will be sold in the open market.UT Khader, State food and civil supplies minister has made this announcement on behalf of state government.
- State owned Telecommunication company BSNL has launched mobile TV service 'Ditto TV'and 'Limited fixed Mobile Telephony' an app that virtually transform mobile phones into cordless phones working in sync with the Home Landline.
- Sitalpati(cool mat) has been registered by UNESCO in intangible cultural heritage list.
- Petroleum conservation awareness campaign 'Saksham 2017'kicked off at Dimapur, Nagaland. This month long campaign is organised by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MOP and NG).Chief guest Ramongo Lotha has inaugurated this campaign.
- Karang Island located in the middle of famous Loktak lake in Manipur has become India's first cashless island.Union Ministry of electronics and Information technology has announced this news.
- India got 60th rank in Inclusive Development Index 2017 of World Economic Forum(WEF).Among 79 developing countries India got this rank with a score of only 3.38.
- Indian Passport has been ranked 78th in 'Global Passport Index'.Germany topped the list with a score of 157 while Singapore emerged as the best passport in Asia continent.
- India and Mauritius has signed MOU for cooperation in the field of cooperatives and related areas.The MOU was signed in the presence of Union Agricultural Minister Radha Mohan Singh and Mauritius's Business,Enterprise and cooperative minister Soomiduth Bholah.
- 'India International Garment Fair'(IIGF)will be held in New Delhi.This year's fair will be 58th edition of its type.Textile minister Smriti Zubin Irani will inaugurate this fair.
- Timothy Gonsalves Committee,a committee formed by the IIT Joint Admission Boards recommended 20% reservation for Girls students in IITsout of the total number of seats.
- The World's ultralight high-performance mechanical watch RM 50-03 is inaugurated in Geneva,Switzerland at the 27th edition of the Salon International De La Haute Horlogerie(SIHH).
- Antonio Tajani from EPP Christian Democrat Group has been elected as the president of the European Parliament.
- India's one of the most renown private sector lender YES Bank launches Business Accelerator Program 'Yes Fintech' in collaboration with T-Hub,Anthill and Lets Talk Payments.
- YES Bank has launched India's first Customizable Savings Account which will enable the customers to design an account as per their requirements.
- Tata Sons chairman designate N Chandrsekaran has been appointed as the chairman of Tata Motors.
- Farrukh Amonatov from Tajikistan won the 15th edition of Delhi International Chess Tournament.At the final he beat Grand master Dipayan Ghosh.
- Gita Sen ,wife of famous Bengali director Mrinal Sen passed away.Some of her great works are 'Chorus','Calcutta 71','Kharji','Akaler Sandhane' etc.
- Senior Congress leader and former Chattisgarh Minister Tarun Prasad Chaterjee passed away.
- Eugene Carnan, commander of Apollo 17 and the last man who walk in the moon passed away at the age of 82.