DAILY CURRENT AFFAIR : 12 TH JANUARY
- Youth day is celebrated across the country.Every year 12 th january is celebrated as youth day to commemorate the birthday of great saint Swami Vivekananda.This year is the 154 thbirthday of Swami Vivekananda.
- Union Government has announced that it will add 40 more cities to the list of cities it wants to develop as smart cities.Union Urban Minister Venkaiah Naidu has announced this news.
- Telengana will host International Kite Festival from 12 th January,2017.The second international kite festival which coincide with the 'Makar Sankranti' fest would be held for six days from 12 th January.
- India's north-eastern border state Arunachal Pradesh has signed MOU with National Dairy Development Board(NDDB) during Gujarat Global Investors Summit 2017 to uplift the dairy sector and rural livelihoods .
- Saudi Arabia has announced the increment in India's Haj quota by 34,500.This increment in Haj quota is highest in three decades.Union Minister Abbas Naqvi and Saudi Arabia's Haj and Umrah Minister Dr. Mohammad Saleh bin Taher Benten signed an agreement in this regard in Jedda increasing the size from 1,36,020 to 1,70,520.
- The month long 'Magh Mela' festival began on 12 th January2017 at Sangram in Allahabad,Uttar Pradesh.During the entire month of Magh,Kalpwasis or Pilgrims sty on the bank Ganga ,Yamuna and Saraswati in tents and take earty morning Bath and take part in religious rituals.
- Khanderi the second Scorpene class submarine launched from Mazagong Dock Shipbuilders Limited,Mumbai.This submarine has superior stealth features and equipped with advanced torpedoes.
- Vedanta Foundation and Vedanta Sesa Goa Iron Ore ,in collaboration with the Karnataka Directorate of Education have launched a pilot project in Chitradurga,Karnataka for promotion of digital education in schools across the state.
- Anjani Portland Cement commissions a new 16 mega-watt (MW) coal-based captive power plant at its cement unit in Telangana.
- Norway become the first country in the world to cease the FM Radio broadcasting as the government has plans to roll out digital only radio over the course of the year.
- Vikram Pawah has been appointed as the president of BMW Group India effective from March 1 ,2017.He will replace Frank Schloeder who will assume new position at BMW GRoup Headquarters in Germany.
- World Bank has predicted Global Growth of 2.7% in 2017.Subdued investment,stagnant economies and uncertain policies marked another difficult year for the World Economy.
- Five temples in Kanyakumari District in Southern Tamilnadu have introduced the Digital Wallets and provide PoS to enable their devotees to pay donations.
- The Indian Hockey Team Captain PR Sreejash has become a member of International Hockey Federation Athelete's Committee.Tyhe committee is comprised of a total of eight current and former hockey players.