DAILY CURRENT AFFAIR:29TH DECEMBER
- Union Government of India has launched an initiative 'Swachh Swasth Sarvatra' for strengthening health centers in open defecation-free blocks.During inauguration ceremony at New Delhi,Health Minister J P Nadda told about objective of the initiative is to strengthen community health centres in 708 Open Defacation Blocks across country and help them to achieve better standards in hygiene and cleanliness.
- Meghalaya will hold the National Sports event 'National Games 2022' beating other leading contenders like Goa,Chattisgarh,Andhrapradesh and Uttarakhand. .Year 2022 will mark the 50 years of statehood of Meghalaya.In previous occasion Meghalaya successfully conducted South Asian Games with Assam in 2016.
- An amount of Rs 266 Cr has been approved by Union Government for New Delhi under AMRUT (Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation)guidelines.This fund will be utilized to improve water supply and sewage networks in New Delhi.
- India signed an agreement with its neighboring country Bhutan for construction of Green and sustainable infrastructure in the Himalayan Kingdom.
- Haryana State Government has come up with innovative 'Caterpiller Train ' concept that will fly over city's traffic in Gurgaon City.The concept 'Caterpiller Train or C-train' is co developed by Emil Jacob and Indian Railways engineer Ashwini Kumar Upadhyay, both are PHD scholar in MIT,for which they got global recognition and won an award at MIT in United States in early 2016.
- The Cabinet approved the promulgation of an ordinance extinguishing RBI's liability for the cancelled Rs 1000 and Rs 500 notes as the logical conclusion to the Union Government's demonetization initiative.
- Najjeb Jung will be replaced by 'Anil Baijal' as the next Delhi Lt Governor.Anil Baijal , a former IAS officer of 1969 batch served as Home Secretary in the previous NDA Government in which Atal Bihari Vajpayee was Prime Minister.
- Dr Shesh Pal Vaid will be the next Director General of Police in Jammu and Kashmir.He will replace DGP K Rajendra who will retire on 31st December,2016.Dr Shesh Pal's appointment has been approved by Jammu and Kashmir Cabinet.
- Former female Tennis World No 1 Ana Ivanovic from Serbia announces his retirement from International Tennis circuit at the age of 29. She hold No 1 Rankings for 12 weeks in 2008 and in the same year she won French Open in Roland Garros.
- Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal's Euro winning coach Fernando Santos won the seventh edition of Global Soccer awards at Dubai.
- Vera Rubin a well known astronomer who pioneered work on galaxy rotation rates passed away at the age of 88.
- Carrie Fisher who rose to fame for her acting as Princess Leia in Star Wars film series passed away at the age of 60 in Los Angeles due to cardiac arrest.
- Veteran BJP leader Mr Sunderlal Patwa passed away at the age of 92.He hold the post of CM of Madhya Pradesh for two times.