DAILY CURRENT AFFAIR : 16TH-DECEMBER
- The nation is paying tributes to the brave hearts on 16th December,2016 for their sacrifices in 1971 India-Pakistan war on the occasion of 'VIJAY DIWAS'. "VIJAY DIWAS"- 16 th December of each year is celibrated as 'Vijay Diwas' to commemorate the martyrs of 1971 India-Pakistan war.
- Toll free no: 14444 is launched by Government of India. The main aim is to create awareness among people about digital transactions. The number '14444' will be operation within a week as per government.
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurates Solar Battery Station and Community Development Centre at 'Bindhakata Tengapukhuri' village in Chabua, Dibrugarh of Assam.
- Major Port Authorities Bill,2016 is approved by Cabinet replacing Major Port Trust Act,1963. The move aims to expand port infrastructure and facilitate trade and commerce.
- Rights of Persons with Disabilities passed in Loksabha on 16th December replacing 'Persons with Disabilities Act 1995'.Number of categories for differently- abled has been increased from 7 to 21 so that Divyangs could get benefits. PM Narendra Modi suggested the word Divyangs for persons with disabilities in 'Mann Ki Batt' in 2015.
- Military college of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering (MCEME) developed Hi-tech combat gear for military purposes. The demo models include a color detecting Robot and a bike which does not start without finger print authentification.
- India tops Asia's innovation chart index .A survey conducted by global consultancy major Capgemini announced this.
MILITARY EXERCISE :
- Defence exercise 'EKUVERIN' is started at Kadhdhoo ,Lammu Atoll, Maldives. EKUVERIN is a bilateral annual exercise between India-Maldives. The currently ongoing exercise is 7th edition of its type.
- The 5th India-Arab Partnership conference was held on 14-15th December in Muscat,Oman. The Theme of the conference is 'Partnerships towards innovation and cooperation in IT'. The conference is organised by foreign ministry of India , Oman,GUCCIAC and Federation of Arab business. [GUCCIAC-General Union of Chambers of Commerce and Industry in the Arab countries.]
- Mr. Ratan Tata is conferred on 'Lifetime Achievements Award 2016 ' by Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) for his contribution as a chairman of Tata Group for making the brand 'TATA' as a globally admired brand.
- Nigeria's Environment minister 'Amina Mohammed' appointed as the Deputy Secretary General of United Nations (UN).
- Former Information and Broadcasting Secretary Sunil Arora has been appointed as the Director General and Chief Executive Officer of Indian Institute of Corporate affairs(IICA).
- Bernard Fox famous for 'ABC series Bewitched' and james cameron's iconic film 'The TITANIC' passed away due to heart failure at Valley Presbyterian hospital in Van Nuys.